dell battery dying, can laptop still function if batt die but plugged in?

Apr 16, 2018
I have a dell Inspiron 15 5567 and the battery is dying according to the prompt messages as well as how much it is draining very quickly after i plug out the cable. this laptop has a built in battery.

My question is, can i not buy a replacement battery, leave it in there, and make sure my laptop is plugged into the power every minute i am using it? Will the dead battery not allow my laptop to be powered up even if i am plugged into power socket?

Solution

If it's seeing the charger properly, it should not tell you it's about to shut down. Did you check with Dell support why this may be happening? Maybe it's a charger issue or maybe even a motherboard issue where it's not seeing the battery or charger in the right state. You can try doing a BIOS update but those often require a charged battery to run so it may not work...
Apr 16, 2018
sorry forgot to add, it seemed that even if i keep laptop plugged into wall power while the dying batt is still struggling to live, the laptop constantly prompts me of low batt, so im thinking if wall power is enough to keep laptop working, why then is the prompts coming on saying my laptop is gonna shut down due to low batt even when the laptop is plugged in?

If it's seeing the charger properly, it should not tell you it's about to shut down. Did you check with Dell support why this may be happening? Maybe it's a charger issue or maybe even a motherboard issue where it's not seeing the battery or charger in the right state. You can try doing a BIOS update but those often require a charged battery to run so it may not work for you.

Solution
Apr 16, 2018
Hi hang the 9

It WAS the charger issue! I found out the ac jack was loose, like i have to hold it a certain angle to keep it in contact point. The ac jack is significantly poor in quality too visually, its thinner to cut cost i supposed, and you can just tell the quality put in to make sure the jack actually fits well into the laptop is not present.