Dell CEO: WP7 Easier to Develop For Than Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Who are web servers maintained by?[citation]the tech-obsessed[/citation]What is the most used operating system?[/citation]
So just because a it's maintained by the tech-obsessed means that it lacks support, quality and stability. In fact support, quality and stability is WAY more important in a server than it is in any desktop, this is why linux/unix rules the server world.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]stormvice[/nom]If easier to program = less work hours = cheaper apps is TRUE, then OK.else, I really dont´care[/citation]

It usually means more complex apps with more functionality and more apps. Not cheaper ones!

Cheap comes from demand vs. competition not from easy or hard to build.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'd have to agree with Michael Dell. I've developed in C, C++, Java, and C#. The overall best experience is C# with Visual Studio in my opinion. When developing vanilla Java with Eclipse, I actually really liked it. It has a few things that really made developing in Java nice. Many things that I feel are way ahead of Visual Studio. However, once you want to start making GUIs and installing plugins, the experience goes downhill a little bit. You just have tinker and fight with it more. C is awesome for embedded stuff and basic stuff, but for modern user applications, it just won’t cut it. C++ is the most powerful of all, but many programmers all consider it the most complicated as well, so there is a trade-off. Qt does have my interest though.

When it comes to the overall experience, Microsoft's is just better. It is all packaged up in one nice tool set. All integrated. The only downside: it only works on Microsoft (mono excluded).

As to allowing other languages, I know in Windows Dev, you can do IronPython and stuff like that. It wouldn't surprise me if you see something like that available for Win Pho 7 as well.

I like open source and free. And as a college student, I'd definitely be all over it. But as an adult and professional developer, I don't like to deal with all that. I want to install my IDE and start solving the problem. Microsoft right now just does it better.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
true true, Ive worked with both Java, C, C++, C# and assembly and i can say that in any application that is GUI dependent, C# and C++ are alot easier to code in, it just feels like it flows. The same cannot be said about Java and its ridiculous amount of tampering it takes to get live refresh working on a dynamic floating object (Sorry for that rage).

HOWEVER! that being said, you cannot help but love Java's seamless integration on practically any device or platform. Just the whole virtual environment concept works so well and greatly outweighs disadvantages from coding issues. Sure, Dev for Windows phone may be easy now thats it is only on a few devices, but as soon as you want a wider scale solution, then compatibility is going to be your worst enemy.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
HOWEVER! that being said, you cannot help but love Java's seamless integration on practically any device or platform.
Agreed. HOWEVER, one should note that Android uses a non standard implementation of Java. Imo, Android messed up by not implementing Java SE or Java ME.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I work for a company who develops mobile software. I was an android development and hating on the iPhone development team used to be common. One day, I was forced to help out the iPhone development team due to them being severely undermanned and they were behind schedule. I can honestly tell you that developing for the iPhone is much easier than developing for the Android. It's not java, it's eclipse! Eclipse need to get in with the times! It's an ancient IDE. Sure, it works, but it's 2010!

Developing for WP7, we get to use Visual Studio 2010. And that is by far the best IDE in the market. The ease of development for WP7 due to VS is staggering. VS2010 much better than XCode, and XCode is many many times better Eclipse. Maybe Google should provide better support for Netbeans or make their own IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.