Dell died will not power up hardware fault.

jdominicjackson

Honorable
May 21, 2014
Hi I have a dell i just sold to a friend and it died after two weeks of him owning it! I obviously feel a bit guilty and have the laptop here to take a look at. I have a voltmeter to check components and I am sure can replace something inside if its possible. I have taken this laptop a part a few times to repair already but still pretty new to actually replacing components and soldering inside, even though I worked in IT for years I was support mainly..

I was not using the laptop when it broke but I was told it first crashed, as in everything froze, or slowed to a halt, then it powered off. Since then it will not power up at all not even to BIOS. When you hit the on switch the white light comes on indicating cpu/HD load, about half a second later the red battery light comes on and all of a sudden it powers off again. This happens in two seconds, turn on, light comes on, turns off. The monitor does not even get powered up.

So could it be a battery on the motherboard as its an old laptop?

Any ideas or tips?

its a inspiron 1564

jdominicjackson

Honorable
May 21, 2014
hey budddy no still no luck. white light comes on everything seems fine for a nano second then red light flashes up and then both off dead. I have a bad feeling its something on the motherboard, something more serious like a dodgy component. I have worked with computers a long time and build many so have done the basics. I know there is always a lot that can be missed though so willing to try anything :) Thanks for your help what next?