Dell Halting Smartphone Sales in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]georgecarlinjr[/nom]Dell had a smartphone?[/citation]
Came here to say that. I guess they didn't put too much money into advertising the thing.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
They want to sell them into very small markets where they can get 20% market share with 10 phones (the number they sold in the US)

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i have a dell venue pro and its been a pretty great phone i never had it crash on me. Plus it looks as new as the day i bought it and im a carpenter so thats saying something my optimus black was buggy the day i bought it.

G

"If you're not a Motorola, RIM or Apple, people won't take you seriously"

This comment says it all about how anyone should perceive Dell in the smartphone market. Samsung and HTC are serious players. When was the last time RIM was a serious player?

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
The above comments proved Dell's point. The public is either not interested or not aware they actually had smartphones for sale.

Smart thing for Dell is just pull it and move on.

G

I have a Dell Streak 5 and like it a lot, but could have liked it a lot more! Dell had two main problems to cause its lack of success IMHO. 1) They launched it on the outdated and under functioning Android 1.6 when 2.1 was available. I looked at it at launch and walked away, eventually buying one when it had 2.2 Froyo operating system. 2) It did not have a strong marketing push.

Just take a look at the apparent success Samsung have had with their Galaxy Note - Similar physical size, launched on the same 2.3 Gingerbread my Streak is now currently running. The Note is what the Streak 5 could have been. It would be even better if the ICS 4.0 were to be made available for it.

popatim

Splendid
Dell does everything wrong IMO.
The Streak came with 1.6 and at least it all worked. Then they updated to 2.1 and alot of things broke and they didnt bother fixing them. Finally 2.2 rolls out and fixes most of the issues (Camera still sucks!) and then Dell announces the End of Life for the streak - no more support or updates. WTF Dell the phone isn't even a year old yet!

DUDE, I GOT A DUD ! should be there new motto.

And Dell wonders why they can't make a profit... with support like that how do expect to keep customers?

I'm very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note, very happy!

popatim

Splendid
The Streak came with 1.6 and at least it all worked. Then they updated to 2.1 and alot of things broke and they didnt bother fixing them. Finally 2.2 rolls out and fixes most of the issues (Camera still sucks!) and then Dell announces the End of Life for the streak - no more support or updates. WTF Dell the phone isn't even a year old yet!

And Dell wonders why they can't make a profit... with support like that how do expect to keep customers?

popatim

Splendid

G

Frankly the reason why I refuse to use or buy a streak even one on sale is because it's super fragile.

It's got an awesome design but the durability of it made it so that I can NEVER recommend it even though I generally love dell products.

Status
Not open for further replies.