Dell Inspiron 1000 - Refuses to boot w/ battery, keyboard issues

dsrsf

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
This is my first post, although I read Tom's Hardware for all of my computing-related needs when it comes to a desktop and components.

This particular issue has me stumped. I had been reading that sometimes the motherboards take a dump, but I think there would be other more serious issues...

Anyway here's what happens. First of all, if I attempt to boot with a battery installed, plugged in or not, I get an error message (on a black screen, no less) prior to Windows splashscreen that tells me that a system file is corrupted and windows cannot boot (it may very well say "your operating system", I don't recall because it's been so long since I've tried to boot with a battery in). If I remove the battery and boot with the A/C adapter, it boots just fine.

The other issue is that at times, the spacebar, B, N, comma and period keys stop working properly and actually take a bit of pressure to get to register. I haven't tried a different keyboard or anything, so I don't know if these are two unrelated problems or signs of a bigger, more sinister MoBo failure.

And lastly, I am under the impression that there were 2 or more different motherboards used in these models, and attempting to swap them is fruitless, futile and may result a paperweight.

Any suggestions?

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Not really. Just some general observations:

I have 2, (but only 1 continues to work, the other has a bad board), but I've never experienced the issue you describe.

I can say that they are rather craptastic. Speedstep disabled in the BIOS so no support for a P4. I'm also no fan of on board non removeable memory. . . especially when it's only 256.

Anyway, right: the Inspiron 1000 and the very similar looking Inspiron 1200 / 2200 / Latitude 110L are not compatible in any way. Everything is different except for the battery, hd caddy / cover, and optical drive. Oh wait-- the top cover and LCD cover are the same (I also have a Latitude 110L).

The only possible thing to try is a new battery (make the upgrade to the li-ion one), but really. . I, uh, well, maybe it's time for a complete upgrade.

pcfreak101

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I have to agree with dwellman. The Inspiron 1000 is just too old to be expected to work correctly. You might as well start looking for an upgrade.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
l_am_bongz Laptop General Discussion 1
pikabing Laptop General Discussion 1
kingrulz Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 0
Pistachio921 Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 1
K Laptop General Discussion 1