Dell Inspiron 15 500 egpu?

Get_Out

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Unless you are going to be charging that thing 24/7 without stopping i highly doubt your laptop will last 30mins. with the 760 installed. But just in case how many volts is your power brick, just in case you know.

k1114

Distinguished
That's not how an egpu works. It must have its own psu. The powerbrick has nowhere near the capacity, has no way to connect to power the pcie slot and has no way to connect to the pcie power cables to the gpu. Even 5 mins of googling egpu would let you know basic info about egpus. Even just common sense should make you realize you don't find 200w+ powerbricks an a basic laptop.

The only slot you have available is mpcie which you can get to by taking off the bottom of your case. The exp gdc is still the cheapest I know of but prices have been going up. It used to be $30, now they are $50 unless you get them off ebay. You still need a psu. You need an external monitor. The mpcie slot is x1 so you will not get the full performance of the gpu.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Your power brick has nothing to do with an eGPU.
You'll need many things, including an actual desktop spec power supply to run it.

Have a read through this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5jpf2x/diy_egpu_101_introduction_to_egpu/

and this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5vztqs/the_egpu_resource_list/

Your primary concern is this:
" eGPUs can be connected through one of the following options: mPCIe (mini PCI Express), Expresscard, Thunderbolt1 or 2, M.2, and finally, Thunderbolt3."

Does your Dell have any of those?

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Anything that I read sounds like it uses the on cpu graphics and doenst have a dedicated gpu, if that's the case the best of luck adding one in. Looking at a replacement board for that laptop shows there is no slot for a video card ether.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Laptops don't have a 'slot' for a regular GPU.
The eGPU concept is to possibly use a regular desktop GPU with the laptop.

It must go through one of a certain type of port, and you need an actual monitor, PSU, among other things.
It is not just plug & play.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well...you need to read and thoroughly understand all the ins and outs of this project.
It is not just plug & play.

And there are other resources around for you to read.
Research is the key here.

k1114

Distinguished
What dock is this? The laptop has no tb so it can't have tb. I'm not seeing any dock compatible with it that has tb. Tb adapters are too expensive to be a worthwhile option. With the increase in cost, you'd have better performance from selling the laptop and getting a new one with a dgpu.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Solution

TRENDING THREADS