Dell Inspiron 1525 very long POST

haroldj97

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
A friend has given me a Dell Inspiron 1525 to fix which takes ~5 minutes to POST (get past the flashing white line). When it does, it gets to the Windows Vista moving green bar and then reboots and goes back to the long POST again. When trying to enter the BIOS or boot screen, it also takes ~5 minutes to get into either of them. Upon carrying out the Dell diagnostics, it came up with 'error code 2000-0142 Hard Drive1 - self test unsuccessful status 79'. Taking out the hard drive has done nothing to the POST time. I know the hard drive needs to be replaced however I was wondering if anything can be done about the POST time since she does not want a laptop that takes 5 minutes to turn on?

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Dells often take a long time to POST if cmos corrupted and this is sometimes occurs if cmos lithium coin battery has too low voltage

If you remove psu and main battery then replace them , go into bios and look at date time setting. If date time correct probably not cmos battery problem

Without hdd gointo bios and set no Hdd present

See if this affects time to POST

Connect hdd to another pc using sata or usb to sata interface
Then test using western digital datalifeguard for windows

Regards
Mike Barnes

haroldj97

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
After removing the charger and battery and putting them back in, the date and time is still set correctly. Couldn't seem to find a setting in the BIOS to set no HDD present but did try previously physically removing the hard drive which did nothing to the POST time. Not sure what it is however a message just came up saying 'The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined' even though it is the genuine AC adapter. After pressing F3 to disable these warnings it still takes the same amount of time to POST