Question Dell Inspiron 1545 CPU 93% all the time

Desire1503

Great
Feb 18, 2022
Hi. So I have this Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel Celeron 900 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM DDR2 and ATI HD 4330 graphics card. The problem I have is that the CPU stays 93-94% all the time, even if no app is on. I tried Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and the problem is the same. On Windows 7 it doesn't happen, the cpu goes up only when I use an app, but what's the problem on the other versions of Windows?
I replaced the thermal paste, I cleaned the cooler of dust, I tried to reset CMOS Battery, I tried to update all drivers, I don't know what to do anymore.
Also, one more thing, the updates in Windows 8.1 are not showing, it keeps reloading, and in Windows 10 it gets stuck at "Downloading: 100%". What is happening? :/

Desire1503

Great
Feb 18, 2022
might have bad hardware can you check your hd externally? it could be dying
I tried with a HDD and a SSD and it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking maybe the CPU is not supporting Windows versions after 8. I have another CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 and I think I will try to test it and see what happens.

You have a pretty slow CPU and small memory but this should run Windows 10 and probably 11.

I would reinstall a windows that works (7) and run MS's compatibility checker for both Windows 10 and 11. Don't stick with Win 7 or 8 as they are unsupported by MS and a security risk (even with anti-virus).

Taking the laptop apart was unnecessary and risky unless you having experience and use good ESD precautions. You should also use the service manual. I see lots of posts that go like :"i cleaned my laptop and now it doesn't work..

If it works with Win 7 then do a clean reinstall of Win 10 or 11. If you don't know how to do this, let me know.

Desire1503

Great
Feb 18, 2022
You have a pretty slow CPU and small memory but this should run Windows 10 and probably 11.

I would reinstall a windows that works (7) and run MS's compatibility checker for both Windows 10 and 11. Don't stick with Win 7 or 8 as they are unsupported by MS and a security risk (even with anti-virus).

Taking the laptop apart was unnecessary and risky unless you having experience and use good ESD precautions. You should also use the service manual. I see lots of posts that go like :"i cleaned my laptop and now it doesn't work..

If it works with Win 7 then do a clean reinstall of Win 10 or 11. If you don't know how to do this, let me know.
What do you mean by clean install? And one more thing, it only accepts non-uefi (mbr) windows 10 installation.

Clean install means erasing everything on the drive. The windows installer offers that as an option. Did you try the compatibility checker?

I can't answer your question about needing MBR. I haven't had one of those machines in a while. That may be an impediment as one of the objectives for MS going forward was to improve security. UEFI helps with that as does TPM. That's why you need to run the checker to find out if your machine has what is needed.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Hi. So I have this Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel Celeron 900 2.2GHz

That is a single core CPU. The reason it's at 100% at all times is that it's an awful CPU for the lowest end laptops from 15 years ago.

This problem will not go away no matter what you do to your laptop. The answer is that it's an old low end laptop with low end hardware that was never meant to run Windows 10.

I used to have a Compaq CQ62 with the same Celeron. It struggled with pretty much everything, even on Windows 7.

Was never certified for win10, it's from Q1 2009. It was low end then and is low end now. The most they should be running is LUbuntu or Mint with LXDE.