Dell Inspiron 17 power issue

jkkfreelance

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have a Dell Inspiron 17 5748 which I have been having some problems with. If I power the laptop on without being plugged into the mains, the laptop will often completely freeze up once windows has booted and will be unresponsive until I hold the power button to turn it off. It has been suggested to me that this is a power management problem that can be adjusted in Windows but I have not had any success down this route.

There is a secondary problem that occurs which I suspect could be related to the power issue but I'm not completely sure. When I connect my iPhone to the laptop via USB the phone will act as though it is being plugged in and out, going from charging to not charging. I have tried the phone on a number of other PCs with no problems and a selection of different cables, all to no avail.

Maybe someone has a suggestion of something I could try?

Hi,

Does it act up as well when you have the AC adapter connected to it? If it doesn't try changing the power option again to High Performance.
- Open Power Option select High Performance then click on Change plan settings next to it.
- Click on Change advanced power settings look for Processor power management
- Set everything under it to 100% or Active.
- Click Apply then OK and test it again.