Dell Inspiron 3451

alfons.chandraa

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
> Taking out its battery.

> Unplugging its power adapter.

> Pressing and holding down the Power button for around 45-60 seconds.

> Putting the battery back and plugging the adapter back in and trying to start the laptop again.

I did all the aboves but still nothing happened. The LED ac adapter keeps turn off when I plugged into it. And I live in a remote island where no laptop technician availaible. Please help.

Solution
It seems you have to approach this problem one step at a time:

1. Remove the battery and try to power up the laptop with ONLY the power cable. It does seem like the battery is defective. If no luck,

2. View this YouTube video (only 480p but it's a complete tear-down of the 3451):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmFNu_FAmg

NOTE: Watch the whole video carefully to begin with, and keep a piece of bare metal close. You have to touch this piece of metal (or a kitchen faucet) every now and then to eliminate any static that might ruin your computer internals. The guy in the video is wearing an anti-static wrist-band. A piece of metal or steel will work in a pinch.

Now:
- Go to 1:30 and remove the bottom cover as demonstrated.
- Go to 3:00...
It seems you have to approach this problem one step at a time:

1. Remove the battery and try to power up the laptop with ONLY the power cable. It does seem like the battery is defective. If no luck,

2. View this YouTube video (only 480p but it's a complete tear-down of the 3451):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmFNu_FAmg

NOTE: Watch the whole video carefully to begin with, and keep a piece of bare metal close. You have to touch this piece of metal (or a kitchen faucet) every now and then to eliminate any static that might ruin your computer internals. The guy in the video is wearing an anti-static wrist-band. A piece of metal or steel will work in a pinch.

Now:
- Go to 1:30 and remove the bottom cover as demonstrated.
- Go to 3:00 and remove the RAM module. Leave the laptop for a few minutes, and then reseat the module. Try powering up the laptop again. If no luck,
- Go to 8:10 and remove the system board. Then flip the board over and remove the CMOS battery (in the video it's referred to as the coin-cell battery, at 8:50). Leave the laptop for an hour or so. Then reassemble the laptop and try another power-up (still power cable only).

If still no luck, then I'm afraid I'm out of ammo, and you'll have to wait for a tech person to land on your island.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution