Dell Inspiron 5520 Laptop Problem

TDEAN13

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
My Dell Inspiron 5520 Laptop keyboard will not function. When I start the computer, known of the keys work. If I hit F2 i can navigate around then, but that is it. Dell said it is a Software problem, but will not fix it since it is out of warranty and it will cost $130. Any suggestions on what to do?

Hi,

Please do test your keyboard if it requires a replacement already.

- - Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard
- Press Windows + R at the same time and type "osk" then press Enter to open the Onscreen keyboard
- Connect an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if does you may need to consider on doing a complete Factory Reset cause it's a problem with your operating system.
- If all those keys are working just fine it's time to replace the keyboard.

TDEAN13

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

TDEAN13

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks for replying, the keyboard isn't broken. When I turn the computer on, I can get the F2 and F10 key to work to do diagnostic checks, etc. Once the screen is fully on, none of the keys work and the cap lock key won't even light up. I assume there is some kind of virus, but I don't know how to check for that. If there are any other suggestions, I'll try. I just don't want to take this in and pay $150 if there is an easy way. The Dell Tech said it was a software issue and if I pay they can fix it over the phone.