Dell Inspiron 7559 - Pros and Cons

Upeka_

Commendable
May 14, 2016
I've been searching a laptop to suit my requirements in the past few weeks( which are programming, photoshop and some gaming). So I came up with the
Dell Inspiron 7559,

Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.2 GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
8 GB DDR3L / 256 GB Solid-State Drive
15.6-Inch FHD IPS, Wide-Angle, Anti Glare Screen.

Is this a good which I can use for another 3-4 years? Please tell me the Pros and Cons(mostly Cons please if you have used the laptop.

And my budget is around $800-850, is there anything better in that range with dedicated graphics.

Solution
I have this laptop, or rather the slightly better version (i7 instead of i5). So here's the deal:

Pros: Good quality build for the money. High end components with room for upgrades like RAM with easy access to the inside of the laptop. Works exceptionally well even as stock model.Handles gaming just fine, used mine stock to play games like Titanfall, COD Advanced Warfare, and Battlefield 4 on medium setting with no issues. I also do a considerable amount of programming, no trouble there either. Also, it has a battery life considerably longer than most others. Quite simply, there aren't many other laptops on the market with components of this quality for the price. Now moving on...

Cons: First, the audio. When you get the stock...

Quixit

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
It's a nice package, just be prepared for the possibility of build quality problems. Dell is terrible for shipping out systems with major issues that need to be repaired. Of the last 3 Dell notebooks I've purchased 2 of the 3 had major issues that I had to have repaired. Brand new systems, shipped out with hardware problems.

If you do buy one, test out everything as soon as you get it in case you have an issue.

Tradesman1

Honorable

______

+1, for laptops and notebooks I tend to look to Asus and Lenovo, I gave up on Dell a few years back

Brian_99

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I have this laptop, or rather the slightly better version (i7 instead of i5). So here's the deal:

Pros: Good quality build for the money. High end components with room for upgrades like RAM with easy access to the inside of the laptop. Works exceptionally well even as stock model.Handles gaming just fine, used mine stock to play games like Titanfall, COD Advanced Warfare, and Battlefield 4 on medium setting with no issues. I also do a considerable amount of programming, no trouble there either. Also, it has a battery life considerably longer than most others. Quite simply, there aren't many other laptops on the market with components of this quality for the price. Now moving on...

Cons: First, the audio. When you get the stock model, the audio will occasionally make a "grinding" sound. This is not actually the laptop itself but a result of a bad update Dell released. Uninstall the update and its driver, and problem solved. Took me about 5-10 mins to look it up and solve the issue. Next, the RAM. It comes with decent base ram but I would highly recommend upgrading it due to very slow speed (around 1600 I believe) and only 8 GB (not bad, but 16-32 GB is better for editing and gaming). Final issue is screen coloration. The graphics are good, but the colors are not accurate right out of the box. Take it to Best Buy and they'll calibrate it for you, so that's another easy fix.

All in all, very good laptop, especially at the price. Two out off three issues are easy fixes and the third is just something that could be done to improve performance. I can recommend this product without an hesitation.

Solution

Upeka_

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Thank You,
I'm ordering this laptop within this week and about the screen - I live in Sri Lanka, and there's no place I could buy this laptop locally so anyway I can do the screen calibration by myself?
(I'm ordering this from Amazon via a third party)

Brian_99

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I'm sure you could, but I don't know how, sorry. If there are any computer stores around, not necessarily ones that sell this laptop, but just general retailers or repair shops, they may be able to provide this service. It's also worth noting that the coloration is far from horrible, just not as accurate as it should, or could be, for editing.