Dell Inspiron completely frozen on restart screen and isn't responding to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggsdee

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
My laptop is completely frozen on the restart screen and won't respond to anything. I have the old 4K touchscreen Inspiron 7559 running windows 10. Right now it is frozen on the restarting screen(the animation is stuck too) and I can't turn it off using the power button or remove the battery. I was playing osu! and right in the middle the keyboard stopped working and even the keyboards I plugged in didn't work, I tried to restart and now I'm in the situation I'm in now with the computer frozen and none of the USB ports functioning. A friend and I suspect it might be the motherboard but I don't know. I can't even force it to power down using the power button and can't remove the battery because it is built into the laptop. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Solution
It could be a number of things. It could have a virus, or malware. It could be overheating. And a few other things.

You are going to either have to wait out the battery draining completely to get it to shut down (make sure it isn't plugged in), or use the following.

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

NOTE: If the device is under warranty still, don't open it up without checking with the manufacturer first.
It could be a number of things. It could have a virus, or malware. It could be overheating. And a few other things.

You are going to either have to wait out the battery draining completely to get it to shut down (make sure it isn't plugged in), or use the following.

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

NOTE: If the device is under warranty still, don't open it up without checking with the manufacturer first.

Solution

MrJodava

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Any luck? Right now I'm facing the exact same issue on my 7559

Mar 17, 2018
I have found this to be a common problem with many 7559 users, and the solution seems to be to re-seat the memory modules (RAM) by exchanging slots. later run a dell diagnostics at the BIOS options . (hopefully your device wont fail any tests). If it does show you an error, you will have to take it back to your dealer.

To access the BIOS options press F12 at the startup.

Mar 24, 2018

Same problem. Just faced it. It was definitely not a malware or another windows update (since I have disabled them using custom firewall a long time ago).
The laptop was working as a portable hotspot, though.
1.Trying to take out the RAM now.
2.Didn't help
3.Disconnecting the battery for, at least, 10 seconds
4.Helped. But you most probably lose warranty for doing that.

During that lag I was still able to use the on-screen keyboard and then all of the modules just started disconnecting. Hope, this helps.
P.s. You can just leave your laptop running without power chord and wait till it runs out of energy, but if you want to do it in a faster way - just disconnect the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.