Last week, my computer automatically did a windows update. Ever since this update, I haven't been able to get on my computer. If I boot in normal mode, I get my start screen for a few seconds and then I get a black screen with the cursor showing and after a few minutes the blue screen saying the the driver irql not equal- storport.sys. The computer will continue to do this over and over again. When I try to go into safe mode, both with and without networking, I get the spinning blue circle and can't do anything. After not being able to get on with safe mode, I decided to reset the computer with keeping the files. However, after about 45% I get a message saying the computer can't reset and no changes have been made. I also do not have any restore points, as I thought I had them automatic set but I was wrong. The only way I can get on is by running the computer in diagnostic startup. What can I do to fix the computer besides removing everything? I really wouldn't want to do that as all my business files and crafting projects are on the computer.
Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.
Try the following...
1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.
NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.
Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.
Should this not resolve it, then you may want to have the laptop looked at by a tech. Just be sure you have them back up your drive, so you don't lose anything.
How do I find out if my wifi is turned on or not? I do not have a refresh option, only a reset with two options. To keep my files or not keep my files. I have tried both methods and it fails around the half way point. I think with the update that it messed up a driver. If has done this before when I did a windows update and I was able to reset and update all my drivers and haven't had any issues until now.