Dell Insporon 15R (special edition) or ASUS K53SM

vipulgreattt

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hi people,

I am looking for a laptop within $900 range for moderate gaming and official work. It would be great if it has good battery backup when I am not playing games.

For the purpose I have selected following models but I am not sure which one would be better for my needs.

ASUS K53SM
i5 (second generation) 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD (5200rpm)
No OS
GT 630M

Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition
i5 (3rd generation) and rest is same except
Win 7+ backlit keyboard
and 500GB (7200rpm)
GT 640M

I know specs wise Dell looks better here, (with only $120) extra but I am not sure about the build quality and the After Sales Services..

Should I choose Dell over ASUS??
TIA

Solution
Vipul, if you need a laptop now, buy it now. The waiting game is a never ending game. For instance, very soon Windows 8 will be released. Do buyers wait for Windows 8?

The prices for newly introduced technology will be high. And, there will be plenty of bugs in newly introduced technology. Remember all the regular monthly 'Updates' and 'Service Packs' for present Operating Systems?

Yes, the 3rd generation Asus will be better than the current models, but the prices will be very high.

Among my computers is a Windows 7 desktop that I built about 3 years ago (Dec 2009) with a 1st generation CPU - works perfectly well.

You are right, buy Asus or Dell based on your needs. (Whatever computer you buy today will be technologically obsolete...

vipulgreattt

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I dont know much about laptop qualities.. Are they really poor choices.. Btw I cant afford a high end GPU. (50000 Rs max budget= $900) and there isnt really wide variety available in india.

Can you please suggest something which you think will be good for i5 4 GB RAM and mid range GPU (not less than GT 540M), with good build quality and better battery backup (while not playing games).

Take a look at Sony, Asus, HP. Lenovo, Hitachi.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Use the above as a guide and read reviews and feedback. Based on this you can narrow your choices down to 5 laptops. Then go shopping; look for sales, promotions, and discounts.

vipulgreattt

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Actually I tried looking at Newegg some time ago, but the thing is that like only 30% of the models are available here in India. So if I look at any good ASUS (the brand I'd probably prefer) there isnt very good chance for it to be available here in market. I cannot import, as the warranty etc will not be applicable completely.

Sony laptops are good quality wise, but they dont have any dedicated GPU and Lenovo after sales service is not very good either.
There were rumors of HP laptops getting heat up and so I am trying to avoid them. I was thinking of only these two models but I'm confused now.

:(

vipulgreattt

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Well actually these two were among the best models available here in the price range of $900. Other options would be Acer (which I dont trust much) and Lenovo (has bad reputation for A.S.S.). So I am still stuck with budget models of ASUS and Dell.

May be I should wait for 3rd generation models in ASUS or something or atleast wait for the reviews of these current models..

Btw, this is the website referring usually to available indian products.

@Farah1x

Thanks for the suggestion, but I kind of had to pass this option long time ago due to its higher price. Its kind of affordable in US etc but here combined with import taxes etc it becomes quite out of range.

I hope they release something better soon.

Vipul, if you need a laptop now, buy it now. The waiting game is a never ending game. For instance, very soon Windows 8 will be released. Do buyers wait for Windows 8?

The prices for newly introduced technology will be high. And, there will be plenty of bugs in newly introduced technology. Remember all the regular monthly 'Updates' and 'Service Packs' for present Operating Systems?

Yes, the 3rd generation Asus will be better than the current models, but the prices will be very high.

Among my computers is a Windows 7 desktop that I built about 3 years ago (Dec 2009) with a 1st generation CPU - works perfectly well.

You are right, buy Asus or Dell based on your needs. (Whatever computer you buy today will be technologically obsolete in 3 to 4 years).

Make sure you check out service and tech support in your local area. Keep in mind that they are all sub standard. Same story in the US.

Solution

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
May I input another laptop that's currently on sale up to June 27th for $899?

Edit: sorry didn't know you were in India. The Y480 would be a good option not on sale for around $900 then.
Lenovo Y580

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=AC523278A4F13F27A84F5F5622D1AC7A&action=init

Advantages:
3rd gen i7
GTX 660M (wipes out the Dell and Asus, even though it's reported to be underclocked)
8 GB RAM - pretty fast speeds at 1600 MHz
1TB hard drive (though 5400 RPM)

Disadvantages:
It's a bit heavy - around 6 pounds
Battery life won't be as great, obviously because of the advantages

Go to the URL I told you and put in USPY543621 as a coupon code for the 3rd from right model to get it for $899.

vipulgreattt

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Yes I understand that the waiting game never ends, coz new stuff will be released every time. I guess I will just wait enough till the reviews of these current models are out and then gonna make an informed decision. Thanks

@Joeman99.. Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately after sales services are'nt that good here for lenovo. So I'll have to avoid all lenovo models. :)