Dell laptop display is black with back light on on start up.

Aug 19, 2018
I have a Dell inspiron 7000 series 7548 that is only 2 years old. I have been experiencing display problems with the laptop for about 2 weeks. The device starts up with a blank screen and the backlight is on. I have tried everything that I could to resolve this issue i.e. re-installing Bios and the drivers, updating the drivers and running the start up repair. nothing is picked up when I run a test for hardware and software. The only way I can start up the display, is by holding down the 'D' key and the power button. When I connect to an external monitor, the device display works perfectly on the external monitor. Please can you advise on what I should do as replacing the mother board is far too expensive in my country.

Solution
If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

So you have three options. 1. If under warranty then contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement. 2. If not under warranty, and you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, open up the laptop and check the cable and display, possibly replacing one or both parts. or 3. Take it to a local tech to have them repair/replace the parts.
If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

So you have three options. 1. If under warranty then contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement. 2. If not under warranty, and you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, open up the laptop and check the cable and display, possibly replacing one or both parts. or 3. Take it to a local tech to have them repair/replace the parts.

Solution