Dell Laptop Docking Station Second Monitor issue

Adroid

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Ok so at work I have a Dell workstation laptop. i7, 16gb ram, SSD, 2gb radeon gpu - the thing is pretty fast.

Everything worked great with a Dell branded docking station, then without warning, one monitor refused to work. Thinking it was the monitor, I switched to another pair of monitors, still didn't work. I plug the two monitors into the laptop directly, and they work fine... Thinking it was the docking station, I bought a new docking station - The Dell E-Port plus with a the 230w power plug. Well, lo and behold, the second monitor will NOT work on the new docking station. This is the E-port dock with multiple displayport and DVI inputs. So the weird thing is, it seems to me I got a second dud of a docking station, but I am starting to wonder if something else is going on... It just doesn't make sense. I will be disappointed if I swap out another docking station and it still doesn't work... Like I said, if I plug the monitors directly into the laptop, they work find.

FYI I have tried six monitors with multiple cords. It's not the monitors. It seems to be the dock but at this point I'm wondering if it is some form of configuration issue or device manager issue...

Adroid

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
One other note of interest... I can plug either monitor into the Video 1 side port, either the DVI or the Displayport, and it works fine. But neither monitor works on the Video 2 side port... I really think it is the docking station at this point but I thought I would see if anyone else had suggestions.

Adroid

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Answer = Laptop was still under warranty. Dell had to replace the motherboard. A tech came out and swapped the thing in about an hour. Now they left me to reinstall drivers etc. Thing is very slow now. Hopefully I can fix it. But yes, both monitors work from docking station now.