Dell Laptop power supply problem

mwenda

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I have an Inspiron 15R I had a problem with the power supply and replaced it with a used one, both 65W. Now after some time I'm having a problem with the second one. It shows a green light when plugged in, but the laptop battery runs down and it doesn't show a battery light, when powered up. Occasionally the light will blink when the laptop is off. I checked the p/s output qith a multi-meter and got 19.5 VDC, however I can't check power draw i.e., 65 W, but I don't feel any warmth when it is plugged into the laptop.
I off-centering the center pin and jiggling the connection to see that maybe a problem. So is there a way create a power draw on the p/s and how would I go about replacing the connector if that is the problem.
Does any one have a recommendation for a replacement p/s other than a Dell?

Solution
OK you've definitely identified the culprit. I assume the is a DELL brand power supply? I've tried other brands (HP and generic) and they do not work with any of my Dell laptops. I can even mix and match different size (65W and 90W) Dell P/S and get them to work.

You either have bad luck, or one of your computers is damaging power supplies over time (less likely).

Replacing the connector on the bad power supply most likely won't help. You need to replace the whole power supply .

Impact1

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

It's most likely the power socket on the laptop at fault. When the power supply is plugged in, is it firmly seated? Or does it feel looseor slide out easily? If you wiggle the connector, does the power light flicker?

I had a similar issue on my daughter's 14R. Replacing the power socket fixed the problem.

A new connector and harness can be purchased, but you'll need to do major tear down to replace the old one.

Impact1

mwenda

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

mwenda

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi Impact1,
No the P/S connector feels snug on the laptop's mating connector. The problem has to be with the P/S, because I have a second (Dell) laptop and P/S, when I switch laptops and P/S's, this particular P/S won't charge either laptop. The second P/S will charge both laptops. Where would I get a lead + connector for the P/S?

Impact1

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
OK you've definitely identified the culprit. I assume the is a DELL brand power supply? I've tried other brands (HP and generic) and they do not work with any of my Dell laptops. I can even mix and match different size (65W and 90W) Dell P/S and get them to work.

You either have bad luck, or one of your computers is damaging power supplies over time (less likely).

Replacing the connector on the bad power supply most likely won't help. You need to replace the whole power supply .

Solution