Question Dell Latitude E6230 and 4K Monitor

Feb 5, 2020
Does anyone know if this laptop can run a 4k monitor? I have an i7 VPro version and when I plugged in my 4k monitor I get no option to increase my settings above 1920. I have downloaded all the latest drivers but still the same. The monitor works fine in 4k on my Lenovo laptop with a similar spec.

MikeNettleton

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Does anyone know if this laptop can run a 4k monitor? I have an i7 VPro version and when I plugged in my 4k monitor I get no option to increase my settings above 1920. I have downloaded all the latest drivers but still the same. The monitor works fine in 4k on my Lenovo laptop with a similar spec.
Botty
Two immediate thoughts:
I'm assuming your laptop is FHD. To get 4k on the external monitor, you need to use Extend rather than duplicate.
What type of cable are you using?
Regards
Mike

Feb 5, 2020
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

The laptop display itself is a 12.1" display at 1368x768. I use it as extended but when I select screen 2 (the 4K monitor) it doesn't give me an option over 1920x1080. I am using an HDMI cable, the laptop does not have a display port.

I had hoped to continue using my Lenovo as I as it is 20GB as opposed to 16GB on the Dell (and a bigger SSD) and I know the 4K monitor works on it, but I rarely use anything other than Adobe Lightroom and the Dell seems to cope better with Lightroom.

Feb 5, 2020
Hi Mike, I updated the drivers after I discovered the issue. However, I haven't tried another cable so will give that a go and let you know. Many thanks.

Feb 5, 2020
With the 4k monitor it came with 2 cables, a display port which isn't available on this laptop, and an HDMI cable which I assume is one that would be compatible. I tried the HDMI and the same issue, no 4K option so I am assuming that this laptop just doesn't support it which is very frustrating so I may need to revert back to the Lenovo. I tried a couple of other HDMI cables I had, same issue.