Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,46 Ghz
mobo: Intel Mobile PM45
Memory: 4GB DDR2
HDD: 160GB
Onboard video: Intel GMA 4500MHD / 15,4 inch Widescreen
WiFi 300Mbps AGN
Ports: 4x USB 2.0, VGA out , S-VIDEO, SD-CARDREADER
DVD read/write

I'm wondering what options I have to upgrade.
As far as I know I can put any kind of SSD in it, replacing the primairy one or use a bracket to replace the DVD writer with a SSD/HDD. Is this corrrect?

Also there is a PCMCIA slot available. Can I use this slot to add a GPU or more RAM? I don't mean using 'Ready Boost' as that would only help if you have less than 2 GB RAM but I mean is there a PCMCIA solution to add REAL RAM this way as all internal slots are taken?

Also the firwire port is ricoh 1394. As I intend to use it with an external audio interface with firewire 400 in general Texas Instruments is adviced for firewire. Would adding a card like this one: http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/5754-firewire-400-expresscard-34 replace the ricoh or would it still utilise the onboards ricoh chipset?

clarkjd

Distinguished
Have you looked on the Dell website to try to see what upgrades and accessories Dell offers? The main knock against laptops is their relative inability to be upgraded easily, not to mention that any possible upgrades are notoriously expensive compared to their desktop equivalents. Also any upgrades might require more power than the original specs for the Power supply. This will cause extra heat and possibly reduced battery life.

Spiritos

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Well, thing is I never worked with a laptop before (except for work but that was maintenanced by the tech dept). I found various sites with upgradable parts but none could answer my questions. I know a lot of people do some tweaking/OC-ing as well so maybe they will have some ideas.

About the SSD question for instance I found even the new Samsung 8400 is compatible, so that makes me wonder if any SSD will do.

About the PCMCIA slot I found memorycard-holders where you could put in Flash memory but I think this is only beneficial when you have less than 2 GB and use the Turbo Boost option (since Vista) but I can imagine it being possible to use this slot for REAL RAM - but I couldn't find any info.

Lastly the Ricoh/TI chipset question: I know nothing about the architechture of laptops so again I'm hoping someone with experience can answer this for me..

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
4GB is the max RAM your laptop supports and you cannot install the memory in the PCMIA slot. As far as I know you can install only flash ram which your laptop doesn't support.

For SSD, the Dell support does not mention anything about the SSD in the accessories category so I think it supports only HDD.

About the sound card i'm really sure about that.

Good luck, mate!!

Spiritos

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
OK. I understand the RAM is limited to my mobo and flash memory is useless (if possible at all) since I have more than 2 GB already.

This site however does mention SSD upgradability: http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=140&subid=226&refine=ssd so it's worth considering.

On another forum someone told me that by inserting a Texas Instruments PC card it would bypass the Ricoh soundchip completely so that's a safe bet I guess.

Thanks and I consider this topic to be answered.

clarkjd

Distinguished

Could you pick a 'best Answer"? Then the thread will be marked as "solved".

Good Luck!

Spiritos

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Yeah, I really wanted to close (solve) it but there isn't even a close to good answer...

Your first response was a general redirect to the Dell site while I had some very specific questions and Legohouse's answer was only 1/3rd correct about the memory while the rest was dead wrong...

As it appears -through contact with Dell- I can insert any SSD I like and the ricoh/firewire question I finally answered myself. Then the question about upping the soundquality through a PC slot remains unanswered (although maybe Legohouse answered it but I couldn't make sense of the syntax).

So.. what to do? What is fair and honest? Show me wisdom !!!

I can't pick myself as eventually giving the best answer and it seems unfair rewarding someone who doesn't answer my questions but points me to a company's website and also choosing someone giving a best answer for having a 1 out of 3 while having 1 wrong and 1 undisputed... all the good intentions recognised but still....?

Why can't I just change the topic title to SOLVED?