Solved! Dell M4700 blank screen on boot up after wrong adapter used

Nov 25, 2021
Hi all,

By mistake I plugged in the wrong adapter to my Dell Precision M4700 workstation and now it doesn't boot up into windows. When I power on, the screen just remains blank, and doesn't respond to any keys pressed.

The power output of the M4700 adapter is 19.5V & 9.23A... the adapter I mistakenly used (which belongs to a spare Dell Vostro laptop) has power output of 19.5V & 3.34A so a much lower output amperage.

The wrong adapter was plugged in just briefly before I realised what I' d done but now the machine isn't booting up at all even with the correct adapter.

Can someone please advise how I can fix this or have I gone and permanently damaged the laptop?

Many thanks

Steve

Solution
Reset the CMOS battery along with the main one. Also try it with the correct adapter without the battery. I don't think a lower amperage would cause a shortage.

buteman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Reset the CMOS battery along with the main one. Also try it with the correct adapter without the battery. I don't think a lower amperage would cause a shortage.
I agree with mrmike16 the spare adaptor would not cause the problem unless it was actually faulty and only then if the fault caused it to have a higher output voltage which is unlikely to have happened.

Reactions: mrmike16