Dell m6600 precision super slow

WarpedWolf

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Hi Guys

Just registered here. I'm also not sure if this question is in the correct place.
I have a dell precision m6600 workstation which seems super slow for the specs that it has.
It hangs and lags doing everyday tasks as well as in pretty much every game (games its a type of stutter, play, lag for a second, play, lag for a second type thing)

specs
Processor- I7 2720QM 2.20GHZ (turbo boost to 3.3GHZ) with vPro
Ram - 12 Gigs
Graphics - AMD Firepro m8900 DDR5 (5gig - 2gigs dedicated/ 3gigs shared)

Im not sure how else to explain it, I know next to nothing about laptops and pc parts

Solution
Does this lag occur in any 3D programs? If it does then it is most likely that the gpu is worn out, if not, you could try installing the latest gpu driver. Also what is the temps while gaming?
When it's running at its worst, press Control Shift and Escape together to open up the Task Manager. If you're using Windows 10, just click on the heading of CPU in the Processes and see what's using most resources.

For earlier versions of Windows, you need to tick on "Show processes for all users" box first.

Post back with your results.

BadBoyGreek

Estimable
May 15, 2014
Did you buy this Dell pre-loaded with the OS and all of the "tools", anti-virus etc.? Pre-built brand name systems usually come loaded with all kinds of bloatware, utilities and extra rinky dink apps that you don't need. If this is the case, I'd suggest a clean reinstall of the OS without all the other crap.

WarpedWolf

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

How exactly do we attached a pic? I can only see the option to post form a url but it wont attached my pics from the pc?

BadBoyGreek - I bought it second hand with win 7 on and it was slow I assumed it was the drivers. I updated them and upgraded to win 10 but it didnt do anything

Just the names of the highest resource users will do and no need for a screenshot.

If in future you want to put a photo up here, use something like imgur.com as an intermediary. It's free but it does generate some Spam in your inbox, albeit harmless.

You got it used, it may be a failing hard drive, too much heat. Get a new solid state, install Windows clean on the system, run the driver setups from Dell.

WarpedWolf

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Sorry for the late reply
In the processes, cpu column its
service host: local system. 0.7%
wmi provider host. 0.3%
task manager. 0.2%
avast services. 0.1%
desktop windows manager. 0.1%

it isn't using much but the lag/stutter/slowness is always the same.

If I go to performance it says I have 68 processes, 1233 threads and 24901 handles if that helps?

WarpedWolf

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

So sorry for the late reply.
It does equal the amount on the performance. I have also re installed windows 10 on the weekend.
The games that cause the most stutter are rust, 7 days to die, crysis wars and total annihilation titans. The games that are ok ar final fantasy xiii, csgo, dota 2, league of legends.

WarpedWolf

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

I was running everything off one hard drive (i thought it might be that) I am now running win10 off that harddrive and I put an extra one (from my older laptop) in and Im running games off that one. It didnt help really (Im not sure if it would I just gave it a try hahaa)

Corey_Benzy

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I would start with running the System Diagnostics. When it's powered down hold the FN key and press the power button, that starts the diagnostics. This will at least tell you if there's any hardware issues like the hard drive, memory, CPU, and even gives a fan error if needed. If everything passes you can boot back into windows and check some software items. Open a command prompt as admin by searching for CMD and right clicking it and choosing "run as admin". Run the command "sfc /scannow" that will look for any corruption in your operating system. Next best step would be to search for the run command and go into the MSCONFIG, head into the services tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services" and start unchecking items in services tab that you don't need open ALL the time. If all else fails you can always re-install your systems operating system after backing up your data.