Can't use laptop

RSAofYAP

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
I’ve had my old Dell Precision M6600 laptop for many years now, but suddenly it is not usable. I have ten grandchildren. Need I say more? As soon as I turn it on the cursor goes to the top left corner or bottom left corner. It moves erratically when I try to move the mouse. I changed the mouse, mouse pad, turn on and off, but it is getting worse. I suspect a virus, but I can’t get to the control panel or open any programs, check email etc.

What (I think) I need is a virus program that I can save to a USB so that as soon as I turn on the laptop it will start. Suggestions please and no I can’t afford to go out and get a new laptop.

Can’t get into my computer to get specs, but it is running windows 10, 16 gigs of ram, Nvidia 5010m, with an extreme processor. 2 drives. OS is on solid state.

I do not like using my wife’s laptop. Thanks.

Actually, my first guess would be your grandkids spilled something into/onto the trackpad, or on the screen if you have a touchscreen. If you know there's a liquid issue (e.g. you used a wet rag to clean off the screen), you're going to have to wait a few hours or days for it to dry out. Both trackpads and touchscreens work off of capacitance - how the water in your finger changes the electric field behind the surface. Getting plain water on these surfaces completely messes up their ability to track where they're being touched, and can cause ghost movements like you're seeing.

First let's narrow down if the problem is being caused by the touchpad or touchscreen. Try disabling them. This is going to be a bit tricky since you're limited to keyboard commands.

windows key to open up start menu
type device manager to auto-search for it, enter to start it
tab to highlight first device, arrow keys to scroll down to Human Interface Devices
right-arrow to open it up
find your touchscreen and highlight it
shift-f10 to bring up right-click menu
use arrow keys to highlight disable
hit enter to disable it

See if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, do it again, this time disabling the trackpad.

If the problem is the touchscreen, you can try re-calibrating it (step 2 in this link). Use the Windows key and search for calibrate, then use the tab, arrow, and enter keys as above to navigate without a mouse.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-touchscreen-windows-10/

If the problem is your trackpad, your trackpad drivers might have a way to calibrate it. But since it sounds like you're using an external mouse, maybe you can just keep the trackpad disabled until the liquid dries out.

RSAofYAP

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Sorry. I've been gone. Updated to W10 before deadline. Did not help. Uninstalled trackpad since I don't use it anyway. Did not help. No problems in Device Mgr. Formatted HD before I installed W10. Almost impossible to even do this. Cursor goes to top left corner and opens other pages, W10 menu. I give up. Thanks everyone, but ....... I feel like taking this out to the freeway and waiting for an 18 wheeler to run it over.

TRENDING THREADS