Dell Quietly Discontinues the Streak 5 MID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Lately I've been reporting more spam than I've been posting comments...

I actually liked the streak, and even considered it a little. I decided not to based on one reason:
Dude, it's a Dell.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The WHAT? Ohh another tablet down the toilet, they tablet deaths are stocking up. Would seem some of the experts are right, the market have started to get overfeed with those casual devices.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Wasn't that predictable?

Completely undesirable form factor.
Either make it small enough to fit in your pocket (i.e. a 3-4" smartphone) or make it as big as possible (10" or more, limited by weight and cost).

G

I have a streak 5. While I might be not with the majority of your average smart phone users, I have big hands and longer fingers and typing in a smaller device actually made it difficult for me, and I like the fact that I can fit a 5" device in my pocket and the surface area it brings.

I am glad about this. Maybe they will sell off the streak 5" accessories for cheap! Here's to hoping.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]5" works fine for e-readers, but it's not an e-reader...[/citation]

You got a point, and it seems like Dell didn't :-D

G

I think screen size,name,and weaker OS all put a damper on this product. Unfortunately a lot of these type of tablets are flooding the market right now discounted heavily. I saw a Vizio Tablet at Sam's Club for under $300! To me these discounts so early after a products introduction does not say much for sales.

G

I'm on my second streak, the first was stolen recently. I bought the original about a year ago, and it's great. I did ponder alternative phones when I was getting the replacement, but the extra large screen won the day (again).

It's foolish to call it a tablet, or market it as one, since in reality it is a smartphone with a large screen. The extra screensize makes it much more comfortable to browse & play games than on the typical 4" smartphone.

My 'perfect' phone would have the same 5" screen as the Streak, but with a smaller bezel (it wastes at least an inch), dual core, higher resolution, and a camera with optical zoom. However, no such thing exists - the Streak is the nearest I can get.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieseven[/nom]Honestly's though, what is a tablet good for?I really need to know what it will do to improve my day to day life?[/citation]

my thoughts exactly , from the first time i heard of teh ipad and other tabs i woandered what use could i possibly have for one of these devices , they cost a fortune 600 for an entry level tab or ipad as oposed to 125 for a low end/older kindle today) amazon's kindle is amuch better deal since reading books is all i could see myself using a tablet for

i doubt they would run my games nearly as well as my 360 or PC does , i'm not really big on browsing the internet , they dont have a pen or touch capability so can't be used as an art tool in my work (i got a wacom tablet on my pc that does that ), in short order i currently se no need for a low end carry around pc in my life , a laptop , sure but nothing as weak as a tablet pc.

G

With the rate that these tablet manufacturers are one by one pulling out their products, this will drive more people to puchase Ipads. I know I did.

G

I have it and love it. This was the biggest screen I could get and still make cell calls. I get jabs for it being "so huge", but I'm always the one being asked to look up stuff because its so easy to read web sites on it. Gaming is great too. Sad news.

G

Ive got a dell streak and it the best phone there is, 5" is perfect fit in the pocket nicely internet surfing is the best hands down that anyother smartphone. Ive had iphones, blackberrys sonys ect and the streak has out dun them buy pushing the boundries. Playin movies, games the navigation all enhanced due to it power and large screen yet compact it fits in your front pocket. I was expecting a new duel core 2ghz snapdragons and this is how dell repays us by discontinuing the streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.