Dell RAM upgrade

Micah_G

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I have a Dell Inspiron 13 7359. I'm having trouble running Adobe Premiere Pro on it. The issue is that it only has 8GB of RAM when 16GB is recommended. Is it possible to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? I'll consider any avenue possible. Thanks!

Solution
Well, if Dell does not recommend it, then I suppose you should not do it. However, if you are will to maybe risk paying return shipping you could try the 16GB stick of RAM, but that is something you must decide for yourself to see if it actually works despite what Dell states.

As for upgrading the SSD, it really depends on how much storage capacity you need. If 256GB is adequate enough for you, then there is no real reason to upgrade now. Waiting also means that you can eventually pay less as holiday sales appear and more competition and higher capacity SSDs appear on the market driving prices down.
You should be able to upgrade the RAM to 16GB. However, it only has a single RAM slot so the 8GB DDRL3 RAM stick will need to be replaced with a 16GB DDR3L RAM stick which is not cheap. The following links are a video guiding you how to access the laptop to remove the RAM, and a link to Amazon to purchase a 16GB RAM stick for $157. Newer DDR4 RAM sticks are not compatible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLGaSQnCMc

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC3L-12800-SODIMM-CT204864BF160B/dp/B0123BRIDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491866312&sr=8-3&keywords=16gb+ddr3l+sodimm

Micah_G

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for the response! I've been looking a little more in to this. Dell recommends to not exceed 8gb RAM, is this a caution I should take seriously. Also, I'm going to upgrade the SSD as well. It currently has a 256gd. Would I notice a significant difference by upgrading to a 500gb Samsung? Or should I splurg on the 1TB? Thanks for your help!

Well, if Dell does not recommend it, then I suppose you should not do it. However, if you are will to maybe risk paying return shipping you could try the 16GB stick of RAM, but that is something you must decide for yourself to see if it actually works despite what Dell states.

As for upgrading the SSD, it really depends on how much storage capacity you need. If 256GB is adequate enough for you, then there is no real reason to upgrade now. Waiting also means that you can eventually pay less as holiday sales appear and more competition and higher capacity SSDs appear on the market driving prices down.

Solution