Dell Staff Arrested Over 'Gunman' Publicity Stunt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Rawson was charged with Interfering with Public Duties, while Chester was charged with Deadly Conduct.

I don't even know what "Public Duties" is, but I guess police can find any reason to make an arrest these days, right?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Hmm. Pity Obama's boys in black aren't positioned on the Mexican border..according to the GAO's own 2010 report the vast majority of the border isn't secure, thus relying on 'forces' this side of the border side to apprehend dangerous criminals as well as threats to security. Yeah, right..the figures getting across speak for themselves and so does the crime rate..Interfering with Public Duties..how about incompetent administrations interfering with public interests? Most American's want the border sealed to stop the trafficking of drugs, people and arms. So yep, a stupid stunt went bad..expect the administration to get on it's high horse and come down like a ton of bricks on one section of society whilst at the same time doing practically booger all about an even bigger risk to local, national and global security. Hypocrites.[/citation]

I fail to see the connection between this Dell publicity stunt and US issues with immigration and the current presidential administration. Oh, that's right... it's because I'M NOT RETARDED.

an0n

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]I fail to see the connection between this Dell publicity stunt and US issues with immigration and the current presidential administration. Oh, that's right... it's because I'M NOT RETARDED.[/citation]

Indeed. I'm fairly certain neither Obama nor anyone in his administration can even excercise authority over the SWAT team of a local law enforcement agency, either to send them to the border or to defuse a potentially dangerous situation in an office park.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to government criticism, quite the opposite. But in my view a solid argument requires at least a fundamental understanding of civics.

clwatkins

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I wonder how old these 2 geniuses are?
Where was their manager, or supervisor when they decided to pull such a stupid prank?

what a shame that they will now have a criminal record because of childish ignorance, and no-one of any intelligence was watching over them.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]border is more secure then when bush was president (its easy to see they got more men down there).....but you know why they keep coming to the us? because we sell assault weapons to whomever and just love illegal drugs[/citation]
trying to keep this from being political, but you must have forgot bush was in office during 9/11 and when they shut the borders that was THEE most secure we've been since world war 2, the weeks following that were still highly secure as they were busting drug and people smugglers left and right and made more arrests in that time frame then they have done in the last 20 years combined.
you failed at math, just had to point that out.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Startingline13[/nom]Rawson was charged with Interfering with Public Duties, while Chester was charged with Deadly Conduct.I don't even know what "Public Duties" is, but I guess police can find any reason to make an arrest these days, right?[/citation]
it's a minor charge along the lines of interfering with a police investigation, the same way a 'fuel consumption ticket' is a minor speeding ticket you can get for a fast start or going above the posted speed limit despite the lack of a post declaring the speed limit if you have pulled off of a side road to an unfamiliar road you've never been on before, or your speedometer is off by a few mph/kmph.

NoniB17

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Anyone faulting the police on this, e.g., "wish I was wealthy" or anyone making this a political issue, e.g., "wild9" are making themselves look more foolish than the fellows who thought up and enacted the plan that went awry. In the edgy society we find ourselves in today, workplace violence is increasing, terrorist-type assaults on private citizens and police officers alike are increasing, and using the tactics the Dell employees chose for their stunt put them at a huge risk for being shot by a frightened potential victim who (understandably so) might have felt the need to use force. The SWAT response was entirely appropriate for the circumstances and anyone stupid, arrogant, or dim enough to fail to cooperate with directions from public-safety officers in this deserves the legal consequences. Management at Dell who responded to this could not possibly be over-reacting if they censured forcefully...good grief, don't you remember the on-the-job murders that have made the news in the past five years?! You expect police protection if someone is trying to hurt you, you call them if you think you're in danger and they respond. Now, pretend for a moment you are a member of the SWAT team...you've had buddies, maybe relatives, killed in the line of duty...how edgy do you think you'd feel? If I were a manager in a situation like this, I'd be so-o-o looking for a head...

NoniB17

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]In next edition, Dell employee shot by security while wearing a mask during the new product promotionc campaign! Staff had "accidently" forgot to notify security about the campaig![/citation]
My point exactly, TeraMedia. Someone in my family puts on body armor to go to work; he would find this situation incredibly naive, stupid, dangerous, and very, very unfunny. So would any police officer worth their badge and for good reason. If that had happened in any office in which I've ever worked, I would have been looking for a way to take down the person myself...and for what? Thinking it was a necessary step to protect myself and coworkers so we did not have another multi-fatal workplace incident such as have already happened in this state and a lot of others.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dawolf74[/nom]@wawa sxmYou sir obviously know nothing about guns. Also, another good reason could be that Mexico is much richer then the US in natural resources but the standard of living is quite lower due to government corruption.Nice that a racist jerk like you would imply that the only reason a Mexican would come to the US is drugs and guns though, it is always nice to be able to point out the racists so we don't have to associate with that kind of scum.[/citation]
If you trace the conversation more carefully, 'they' is an answer to the previous post about CRIMINALS, not Mexicans, coming here (USA) to get cheap assault weapons and sell drugs to American drug users...that's not a racist statement.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Deadly Conduct"
What the h3ll is that supposed to be?

I think both of these morons were asking for this to happen... It's all part of the publicity. Look, it's on toms hardware!

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]If you trace the conversation more carefully, 'they' is an answer to the previous post about CRIMINALS, not Mexicans, coming here (USA) to get cheap assault weapons and sell drugs to American drug users...that's not a racist statement.[/citation]

I caught that one, America's demand for recreational drugs fuels much of the unrest in Mexico and South America. If the US were to legalize and regulate pot, it would put a dent in that. even more so if we actually had some proper legislation that dealt more with rehab and prevention, instead of just sending the swat team in over a ounce or two (see Columbia MO incident). Then again, the prison lobby would have a field day, they want to soak up more of your tax dollars making more things you can do a crime so you end up incarcerated. When people go to jail, they profit. Talk about a real stupid thing to lobby for or to profit off.

But still, none of that has any bearing on this story.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]smilertoo[/nom]USA, land of the stupid over reaction.[/citation]
Really, we are more the land of idiot pulling stupid publicity stunt while failing to take into account the usual association of masked people with criminals. ;)

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]groveborn[/nom]Perhaps one should point out that calling someone scum for having different beliefs than you, even if you find them repugnant, is the exact same thing as believing someone is inferior to you because of their skin. Same idea entirely.[/citation]

No its not the same. One is born with his skin and had no choice in it. A Christian is inferior to an Atheist because the belief system of one is based on facts and the other on imagination.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
My point exactly, TeraMedia. Someone in my family puts on body armor to go to work; he would find this situation incredibly naive, stupid, dangerous, and very, very unfunny. So would any police officer worth their badge and for good reason. If that had happened in any office in which I've ever worked, I would have been looking for a way to take down the person myself...and for what? Thinking it was a necessary step to protect myself and coworkers so we did not have another multi-fatal workplace incident such as have already happened in this state and a lot of others.

I concur and I think that is where the deadly conduct comes in. This nub grub could have been been killed by security, beaten by some employees, or someone may have died when swat stormed in (most likely the supposed gunman). I wonder why the manager didn't comply? What did he think was going to happen? That the police would be like "Oh got 24 SWAT members called here for no reason, causing delays in our real jobs, no biggy....you get a pass!" The only seemingly good news in this story is that that area apparently responds well to possible workplace shooting incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.