Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop Graphics Problem

PURBECKFOSSIL

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I have a problem with the screen just showing fuzzy horizontal lines or nothing at all. The laptop boots and I have no problem using an external monitor. My question is:- Is this likely to be a problem with the graphics chip on the motherboard or a problem with the screen. I have seen both items for sale on ebay (2nd hand) at a reasonable price but I need to determine whether it's a screen or Graphics problem. I have replaced the inverter already with no change to problem. Any help on further diagnostics welcome, Thanks

EarthenSquirrel

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Well, if you were able to use an external monitor without a problem, then most likely it's not the onboard graphics. I'd say it's far more likely to be the screen.

PURBECKFOSSIL

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

PURBECKFOSSIL

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for the input. I have been googling about and someone mentioned that the on-board nvidia chip might still work on external monitor circuit, but fail on the internal side, but eventually that will probably pack up as well! (have been using laptop with external monitor for a year now) so I am looking for a way to determine whether it is the chip on motherboard or screen without buying either at the moment. I have sEen a motherboard with the Intel grahics chip, which most feedback seems to suggest is much better than Nvidia c**p.

EarthenSquirrel

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

True, that's definitely possible. From what I understand, it's not a common occurence, though. As far as a test goes, if you're comfortable taking the laptop apart and have another laptop to test on, you could always swap the parts out and see what works. I suspect you don't have another machine, though, so you might be out of luck, at least until someone who knows more than I do comes along. Sorry I haven't been more help.

PURBECKFOSSIL

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for your input, EarthenSquirrel.

I bit the bullet and got an LCD screen on Ebay for £35 and installed it. Booted up and got white screen. Another google session pointed to the LCD connector not properly connected. So, disconnected & reconnected it and "Hey Presto" everything clear and rosy. Job done. Ebay scrap yard came up with the goods at an affordable price.

EarthenSquirrel

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Excellent! Glad that got solved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 0
only_shreyansh Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 1