Dell XPS 12 Replacement Battery not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

4wheelerswi

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I purchased a replacement battery and installed it in my Dell XPS 12.

When I turned the computer back on, I received a black screen with the following message:

"WARNING: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup the utility."

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Solution
I checked Dell first, and their site said "Sorry, but we no longer offer batteries for this model". I purchased the battery (good ratings) on Amazon and I reached out to the seller and am pleased to say that they got back to me within a day with recommended the following steps to get it working:

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Unplug AC power.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Replace AC power.
5. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.
6. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.
7. Unplug AC power.
8. Replace battery.
9. Replace AC power.
10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

I followed these steps, and it worked! I only wish that the instructions had been included with the battery and I would have done...

4wheelerswi

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I checked Dell first, and their site said "Sorry, but we no longer offer batteries for this model". I purchased the battery (good ratings) on Amazon and I reached out to the seller and am pleased to say that they got back to me within a day with recommended the following steps to get it working:

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Unplug AC power.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Replace AC power.
5. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.
6. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.
7. Unplug AC power.
8. Replace battery.
9. Replace AC power.
10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

I followed these steps, and it worked! I only wish that the instructions had been included with the battery and I would have done this before installing it the first time.

Solution
Dec 6, 2019
I am so glad finding this best solution for problem with Replacement Battery Not Recognized for my Dell XPS 12 9Q23.
I purchased a replacement battery and installed it in my Dell XPS 12 9Q23 in February 2019. In the beginning I was confident because of seller's description of a high quality and 100% compatible as original Dell. The battery did good work. I was satisfied for the long usage time of more than 4 hours for normal use. But after half a year the laptop starts with problem. The battery runs back very quickly. Laptop has to hang on the adapter again. This works only briefly until the battery is no longer recognized by the laptop and won't charged. If adapter plug in the on/off button flashes white and orange light. When computer turned on, I received a black screen with the error message "WARNING: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery ...."
I wrote the seller en tell them the problem. I received a response and they send me a new battery. But the new battery didn't work! The laptop still starts with a black screen indicating that the battery is not recognized by Dell laptop and bios. The on / off button still flashes white and orange light. Battery cannot charge. As soon as the adapter disconnects, the laptop switches off immediately.

Gladly I found best solution here with recommendation the steps to get it working. I followed these steps, and it worked with the new battery! I did a few tests with the laptop and battery. All tests are successful, the battery works normally, the laptop also works normally, with the adapter on it, without adapter, screen close and open again, in sleep mode and out. It works. I really hope it stays that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.