DELL XPS 13 9343 random shutdowns.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aleks94

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
So i've had this laptop for about a year and a half now. within the last few months i was having thermal trip issues. i replaced the thermal paste and it seems to have fixed that issue and i found no more errors in my logs.

Although, the same time that was happening i was also getting random shutdowns/restarts. which is still an ongoing issue. I completely wiped the system and did a fresh install hoping it was on the software side of things but that doesnt seem to have fixed it.

Anyone experience anything similar or know why this might be happening? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Solution
If you are not finding any Viruses on the system, which I am surprised at, then I would start to wonder if the hard drive is failing. However, since you stated that it doesn't happen in "Safe Mode" I would not go to replacing the drive just yet.

You may want to do a back up of your personal stuff on the system and do a full on reset.

sanisera

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hi Aleks 94,

Have you found a solution to the random shutdowns?

I just got a Dell XPS 13 (late 2017 version) and I'm having similar issues (random shutdowns when I'm working without a charger plugged in). It's very frustrating, since this is a new 'replacement' laptop that Dell sent me two weeks after the first one was 'dead on arrival'. I wish that the online laptop reviews that glorify XPS systems would mention how unreliable Dell is.

hubikhub12610

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hi,

I have had the xps 13 9360 for about 3 weeks and have been getting "bsod" with an error bad_pool_caller for some time, so I decided to reinstall windows 10. After reinstalling windows the laptop randomly shutdowns, I didn't have this problem before reinstalling win 10.

Any one have a solution?

sanisera

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
After working with some of Dell's tech support, we reset the computer (bascially erased everything and started the computer from scratch). After reading saicha's suggestion of updating to the new BIOS driver (released Dec 12, 2017), I haven't had the random reboot issues. I have tried three times working without being plugged in to a charger and below 40% and it hasn't rebooted! By the way, Dell's Support Assist software didn't automatically update the driver, so I had to manually install it. Hope this helps someone else.

Mar 7, 2018

Did you manage to find what was happening with your laptop?

I also have a Dell XPS 13 9343 and I'm facing very similar issues: bsod every day with different messages every time, dell diagnostic checks pass correctly, memtest86 passed correctly, Windows' chkdsk found no errors.

I installed a clean version of Windows 10 after formatting the entire drive and got a bluescreen after the first user login, so I tried the "driver verifier" and got an error of "fltmgr.sys" which seems to be related to the file system but still haven't found a solution.

aleks94

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

It's been along time and i honestly forgot about this thread once i fixed my issues, i hope everyone was able to do the same. extremely late reply but better late than never.

In my case, after doing a test of every piece of hardware and software on the computer + a complete reinstall of the OS (i generally reinstall my OS every year anyways to freshen it up) I found out what the solution was for my particular issue. It was the last thing i checked, which i thought i had already looked over but seemed to have missed it. It ended up being a lose ribbon cable. When you open up your laptop, there will be a chip inside that controls the power/reset/sleep button and your sd card reader/usb part. the ribbon cable there was lose, so the part that flips down and clips the ribbon down was open. so in my case, that was what was triggering the VERY random shut downs and cause my power button to mal function and never work. Once i had secured everything in place, everything worked flawlessly, to this very day as i am typing on the exact laptop :)

I hope to anyone reading this, this may help you out if youre having a similar issue

cheers,