Dell XPS-13 Hemorrhaging Power

pcuser1985

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
My new DELL XPS13 loses power. The battery lost 8% of its charge when unused for about two weeks through early December. Earlier, the battery had self-drained by about 2% over three days. The unit was switched off with the battery fully charged each time.

A few days ago, the battery level suddenly dropped by 10% while I was using the PC with the charger switched on and the unit otherwise running normally.

The problem has been getting worse progressively since then. The unit is now self-draining by about 3% overnight. Also, the charge-meter readings are currently incorrect. When the charger is on, the battery meter reads 100% but when charger is switched off the reading immediately plunges by 6%.]

I've been using laptops for the past 16 or so years and have never had a similar problem with other PCs from various manufacturers.

DELL Tech Support said: "Battery is discharged naturally even if computer is shut down. It is in a normal state. Please use it as it is."

I would appreciate an independent expert opinion on this, and would also like to hear from other XPS13 users who may have experienced similar problems.

pcuser1985

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Leaving the massive battery hemorrhage aside, I agree entirely with your assessment. However, DELL does not see the problems as issues warranting a battery replacement.

Batteries will progressively be worn out as time goes on. There is nothing you can do about that apart from getting a new battery. If the reading for the battery is wrong then you need to get a battery of remove the battery and just run on the power like I am doing.

What is the runtime on battery? Test it with a movie or something.

Drain it to very low or dead, then charge it fully, does it keep a full charge? Is there a battery utility available in power options? The battery may be set to extend battery life in which case it won't charge to 100% all the time.

pcuser1985

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
hang-the-9 said:
"What is the runtime on battery? Test it with a movie or something.
Drain it to very low or dead, then charge it fully, does it keep a full charge?"
Have already drained the battery to very low. The runtime was about 3.25 hours last week. It keeps full charge momentarily, but drains by about 3 percent overnight.

My children use several other PCs at home including a Gateway laptop, a DELL Inspiron laptop/tablet and an Apple ipad. These systems all have battery drain, of course, but none of them hemorrhages like the XPS13.

Using our 8-month-old DELL Inspiron as a benchmark (it's also running Windows 10), I found that the XPS13 drains about 5 times faster than the Inspiron.

The XPS13 currently drains at a rate of about 3% in 12 hours, whereas the Inspiron discharges about 0.6% overnight (extrapolated the discharge curve).

Also, the rate of discharge has increased significantly, since I first noticed the problem.