Solved! Dell XPS 9550: Laptop turns off after playing game for a bit, then turns on & off repeatedly on startup until connected to charger.

Mar 26, 2020
Hello,

As the title suggests, I have the issue of my laptop turning off randomly while playing games.
Then it always gets stuck in a loop in which it wants to turn on, but then shuts off imediately without showing anything on the screen.
The computer keeps on doing this until I connect my charger to it and restart the laptop one more time.

I own a Dell XPS 9550 with
  • Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX960M

I already ran benchmarks to stress-test the GPU, CPU, without encountering any specific problems.
Additionally I run all kinds of diagnostic tools (Support assisst hardware scan, memory diagnostics) I could think of to check for problems, but all finished without returning errors.
I also reinstalled all the Nvidia drivers through GeForce Experience, after that also manually a few times without any success.

I have no idea whether it is a hardware or software issue. I also don't know how to troubleshoot the problem anymore.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
So does it every fully boot up now or is it still stuck in a loop? If you leave it off for a bit and try to power up , does it power up and start up?

It could be a heat issue. This is a nice laptop but is built for business/standard computing, not gaming. So, for gaming purposes, you could be overheating your CPU. I have a laptop with similar specs and it will get pretty hot playing games even only mid graphics settings.
Mar 26, 2020
So does it every fully boot up now or is it still stuck in a loop? If you leave it off for a bit and try to power up , does it power up and start up?

It could be a heat issue. This is a nice laptop but is built for business/standard computing, not gaming. So, for gaming purposes, you could be overheating your CPU. I have a laptop with similar specs and it will get pretty hot playing games even only mid graphics settings.

Solution