moodvision

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
My graphics card just died on my 6 year old dell xps2 laptop. The card is a NVIDIA Geforce Go 6800 Ultra. Cannot find a replacement anywhere and do not know what I can buy as a substitute. As long as it plays World of Warcraft I don't really mind what it is. Can anybody help me please?

AntiZig

Distinguished
if you want another card for replacement you need to provide the motherboard info that this card would be going into.

You might also try to contact dell to see what they can offer you as a solution (same card or newer that would fit)

In terms of getting the same one, I can tell you for a fact those cards aren't being manufactured anymore. So the only way is to find some warehouse that still has them in stock since the day they were shipped or get a used one on e-bay or similar website.

moodvision

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Thank you for your reply. I will have to see if I can find out what motherboard it is tonight when I get home. Dell are not being very helpful but I will keep trying. It seems that a NVIDIA 7800 will do but I think I will have as much difficulty finding one of them as the original.

darkane64

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

AHH something i know about.. the dell xps gen 2.. i have one.. and my friend had on.. (altho his son dumped a bowl of cereal in it and fried it.. i got it from him and spend $500 getting it fixed and tried it to my brother for a different laptop for my wife)

ANYWAYS. they are both in my family still.. my mom has my old one and my wife as my friends old one..

and i will say this.. what a crappy laptop LOL not as for as performance but design.. BOTH of the video cards in them have failed.. and replacement with equivalent or upgrade was not work it ($250+) BUT whats happening with them is they are getting so hot and then cooling its causing fizures (spelling??) in the solder..

I was able to fix the one in my wife computer using this method >here< i know its sounds odd but it worked.. still running with 0 problems today (it was baked over a year ago) but when i did my moms i flipped the card the other way (so the connector was face down) and cooked it to long.. and the main connector separated from the board.. was no hope of fix it so i bought a real cheap card for a different dell laptop.. (a 9300 i think it was there are a few that will work..)

with them i figured i was gonna replace them with cheap card (less them $50) so if i fired the original by baking it i wasnt really out anything.. card was fried to start with

i'll also say this anything less then the 6800 is gonna be to slow to play anything like WoW

a quick check on ebay and i found 2 cards.. heres a 6800 ($160) and heres the upgraded 7800 ($260)

theres a few more also for about the same price and others listed cheaper but dont work..

This laptop >here< ($355)would probably give you better performance due to being dual core more memory but.. you would lose the amazing screen the gen 2 has... the resolution it can do is amazing for the screen size... but you cant really play games at it because they get to choppy

moodvision

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thank you for your reply. I have tried the baking, in fact I have tried it twice. The first time it worked for a day, the second for a few hours, in fact it still comes on now but it will not handle WOW or anything like youtube etc. I was thinking of trying again. I'm not a techie and I am amazed I put it together okay without any bits over and I was even more surprised it worked at all. What do you think, is it worth trying again? any tips? One guy I read did it twice (10 mins each time) leaving it to cool after each baking and then put it back together, I wonder if it is worth trying that.

I checked out your links to ebay. I am based in the U.K. so I am unsure if they work on European systems but the prices seem okay.

The laptop has lasted six years, had to have replacement graphics cards twice in the first year but since then it has been great. I am loath to get rid of it but I have not given up hope yet, thanks again for your help.

moodvision

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the baking, in fact I have tried it twice. The first time it worked for a day, the second for a few hours, in fact it still comes on now but it will not handle WOW or anything like youtube etc. I was thinking of trying again. I'm not a techie and I am amazed I put it together okay without any bits over and I was even more surprised it worked at all. What do you think, is it worth trying again? any tips? One guy I read did it twice (10 mins each time) leaving it to cool after each baking and then put it back together, I wonder if it is worth trying that.

I checked out your links to ebay. I am based in the U.K. so I am unsure if they work on European systems but the prices seem okay.

The laptop has lasted six years, had to have replacement graphics cards twice in the first year but since then it has been great. I am loath to get rid of it but I have not given up hope yet, thanks again for your help.

darkane64

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
i think i cooked mine for like 12-14 minutes.. not sure why they wouldnt work on a UK system.. as far as i know they all run off the same voltage and everything one it gets into the laptop.. and the internals should all be the same..

moodvision

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Only tried 10 mins so I think it is worth trying a little longer and thanks for the heads up on the voltage, I thought it might be the same, at least internally. Can't do any more baking until this weekend but I will let you know how I get on.