Demand for Nintendo Wii is Slowing Down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]Give us new non-sucktastic Wii games![/citation]

They have some...Madworld, The Conduit, House of the Dead, Zelda, Super Smash Bros...and a bunch more. The reason why the Wii has such a shortage of AAA third-party titles is because the "hardcore" aren't buying them. The sales for Madworld were pitiful for such a good, "hardcore" game. A lot of people are saying that the Wii isn't failing the hardcore, the hardcore are failing the Wii.

But who cares, PC gaming FTW!!!!!

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'm honestly suprised it took this long (here comes the vote downs).

To me the Wii seemed like a novelty. I've never been interested in motion gaming. Not to say that Nintendo hasn't made some good games for it, but what about other developers?

I'm just going to echo much of what everyone else has said, I'm sure the majority of people bought the Wii for Wii Sports or Wii Fit. I'm curious about title sales (especially of non-Nintendo developers) and how attractive a device the Wii is to develop for.
Who knows, maybe I'll feel differently about Nintendo's next console installment.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
Ah, the humble wii. I personally think Nintendo has surprised the world. Say what you want about how much better the PS3 and 360 are, the fact is this: the wii hands down has been the winner in sales. You might hate it, but you have to admit that kudos is due to Nintendo. However, I agree that sales of GAMES is the big money maker for gaming companies, and the WII simply wont sustain that. Casual gamers are also not the people who hoard DVD box sets like Armageddon is happening tommorow, and this may have proven to be a big blunder if it wasn;t for the fact that literally every stay at home mom and senior citizen with an interest in games got a wii.
In short: They win.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
The Wii was really fun for the first month or so, but then it just sat there gathering dust outside of the occasional Mario title.

360 was the same deal, since most good games that come out for it also come out for the PC.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I have a Wii. I'm not extremely happy with it, but it's a decent system. I'm glad that Nintendo tried something different.

Anyhow, the way I see it is: whoever gets the motion controls down the best will really come out on top - something that you can't miss for gameplay.

Now, think of this: would Sony and Microsoft be going in the direction of motion control devices if Nintendo didn't introduce it with the Wii?

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I really wanted to get the Wii at first but I couldn't ever get one because of Nintendo's stupid marketing practices. So, I got an Xbox 360 instead. Best. Decision. Ever.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wow, when was the game cube released? 2001? 9 years and only now is the hardware seeing a decline in sales, good work nintendo, i think thats a new record for stretching out sales of old hardware...

still, its to be expected from the company thats the king of stretching out old software... seriously, how long can they keep selling THE SAME Pokemon game for!! (its been going since 1996).

its would be fine, if they weren't ripping ppl off. the wii is overpriced and has never come down in price, NORE DO THE GOOD GAMES!

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]No hd no DVD no Internet and suckhole graphics, it's amazing how popular this crap is. True gaming platforms are the ps3 and PC.[/citation]
Hmmm no internet? whats that strange Opera based browser on the Wii(hell, it even has FLASH!!!)? If you live in japan you can watch DVD's on your Wii.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]They have some...Madworld, The Conduit, House of the Dead, Zelda, Super Smash Bros...and a bunch more. [/citation]
have you read the reviews for madworld, the conduit, and house of the dead? they are fair at best. and listing an extremely short railshooter? come on dude.

the only noticable game that'll come out is that new King game.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't own one.

The reason, All the games I’ve played on the Wii seem like gimmick crap and as a person who goes out of the house to do sports and martial arts there really hasn't been a novelty in moving my arms about.
Maybe for the fat kids this was all new.
Also after 25+ years platform rescue the princes isn’t interesting and platform game and their 3D bolt-ons bore me even more.

That said, using the internet with the pointer whilst on the sofa was good lazy fun; but the onscreen keyboard was awful. I’m sure with 50+ set favourites I’d get over it.

For all its faults the PS3 is the best media centre/ console/ blueray item. To all the people that moan about the cost. When the local pub costs £3.50 a pint, just a few nights covers the cost of the whole thing plus games. The PS3 is has been a bargin. I can’t play 360 or Halo as all FPS on the console, any console are dire crap. It’s what PCs were made for. And i'll not pay M$ for a live account. you're a tit if you do.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
it's slowing down because nintendo has been focusing on something else and it caused the slowdown. but it will pick up again due to motion plus. the stuff that you get to sample from motion plus from the wii sports resort is an indication that developers are no longer limited. things will pick up more drastically as the year goes on by, especially 2010 as nintendo is currently in development that will fully support the motion plus peripheral.

additionally, there aren't that many games that are attracting the consumers. if you look at the games that were released recently, they were games that weren't really that interesting.

this drop doesn't mean that people are not interested in the wii, this just means that there aren't games that sparks peoples interest for buying the wii. but don't worry, people will start buying the wii again.

btw, ps3/360 isn't true gaming platform. it is a platform but not console systems. ps3/360 isn't a console game system but rather a pc game system. so all this time 360/ps3 owners have been actually playing dumbed down pc games.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
a new wii won't be released not for a long time. we could be looking at a new nintendo console not until another 10-15 years from now, or longer. the wii isn't about the technology like ps3/360 but rather about how you play. change the way you play and the experiences changes while the system stays the same.

take resident evil 4 for instance. though the game is old, when playing it on the wii, the play experience is different then those when playing on a dual analog controller. with wii motion plus, the wii system has been extended. with wii vitality sensor, the console is then extended again.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]The remedy will be the tradeup program which will allow you trade your wii and 250$ for a Wii2, which will be 2 wiis duct taped together.[/citation]

your comment strongly suggest you like technology not the games.
your suggestion that the wii is underpowered as opposed to what the wii system can offer for entertainment strongly suggest that you like the ps3/360 not for the games but for the high tech stuff.

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Personally I think the wii is fun for parties and what not, but for a "real" console it falls on it's face. It has fewer deep, long games than the other big 2. Not to mention the fact that the game prices rarely drop below $30-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.