Denon AVR-3311CI Power Button Does Nothing!

HeelHook

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hey Tom's Community!

Long story short, I spent basically the last 3 days running speaker cables in the walls/attic of my media room, and everything sounded great!... I went downstairs to make dinner, and when I came back up my receiver is off, and still as of now, has no response when pressing the power button. I have tested the power socket, and a lamp runs on it fine. As a matter of fact, the 2 sockets were used for 1) the receiver, and 2) a surge protector that has a TV, a Roku, and a subwoofer attached to it. One odd note is that the roku stick was not in the tv, but plugged on that power strip, and when I came back up, it was VERY hot to the touch, which makes me think a power surge of some type and the Denon wasn't safe behind a surge protector (not an expert with these things, so not sure how that works...).

I've switched out the actual power cable going from the back of the receiver to the wall, and no luck. When running the speaker cables through the wall I didn't encounter any power lines, or mess with the power plate/j-box at all. Also, our house is only a year old, and regularly trips the breaker over the smallest amount of electrical usage, so I would imagine if we got enough power to blow the receiver, it'd have tripped well before. Also, I haven't used the receiver in about 13 months,but was out in the open and in a clean and well ventilated area.

I'm using 14g 2c wire, and have tried plugging the unit in both directly to the wall as well as in the power strip.

Any troubleshooting help would be great, or if anything, any acid test to know for sure if it's totally fried would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
There is no breaker reset on that receiver.
To test it disconnect everything from the receiver.
Plug it into a know good outlet. The light around the power button might come on to show it's in standby.
Try to turn it on with the power button. Try to turn it on with the remote.
If you can't get any result unplug it from the wall. If it's under warranty contact Denon for service.
If not you can remove the top and check for a blown fuse. Start looking where the power cord enters the chassis. Most fuses look like a glass cylinder with metal end caps and a wire that goes from one cap to the other. The wire melts to blow the fuse. There may not be any fuses.
Best Denon warranty service is USA is United Radio in Syracuse NY.
Sounds like you...

HeelHook

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Thanks for the help! @jsmithepa - I apologize again as I'm a bit of a newb with receiver tech, but I'm looking at where the cord connects to the receiver, and I've looked through the online user manual, but I don't see a breaker reset. What would it look like? do I need to pop the cover off?

dudio

Admirable
Looks like there isn't an external breaker reset beside the cord from what I can see in the manual (https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avr3311ci). Two other possibilities to try are listed in the Troubleshooting in the manual on page 113

There is no breaker reset on that receiver.
To test it disconnect everything from the receiver.
Plug it into a know good outlet. The light around the power button might come on to show it's in standby.
Try to turn it on with the power button. Try to turn it on with the remote.
If you can't get any result unplug it from the wall. If it's under warranty contact Denon for service.
If not you can remove the top and check for a blown fuse. Start looking where the power cord enters the chassis. Most fuses look like a glass cylinder with metal end caps and a wire that goes from one cap to the other. The wire melts to blow the fuse. There may not be any fuses.
Best Denon warranty service is USA is United Radio in Syracuse NY.
Sounds like you can use a good electrician to install some whole house surge protection.

Solution