Denon receiver+ Vizio Soundbar+Sony Bravia tv issue

Ndoraswamy

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Is there anything special that needs to be done to make the optical audio splitter work in the receiver? BTW, my issue is that I have a Sony Bravia model 48w590b, a Vizio Soundbar model S3821w-c0 and a Denon receiver AVR S910. Right now, I cannot get the Soundbar to work. Since I don't have any front speakers connected to the receiver, I can only hear the surround rear portion of the audio. The tv says the sound is being output to the audio system, but I guess it means the receiver, not the Soundbar. The Denon receiver has ARC which is connected to the hdmi in the tv corresponding to arc as well. Should I maybe hook t up to another hdmi port?

Solution
If HDMI is required then you didn't describe the complete setup. There must be HDMI sources you are using the receiver to switch that you didn't describe... To use the receiver for audio the optical splitter from the TV would work.

Ndoraswamy

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Hdmi(arc) connected to tv and receiver. Optical audio out from tv connected to an optical audio splitter, one going to Vizio Soundbar, one to tv audio in the receiver.
Do you need more info? I can probably add a picture if you like.

kanewolf

Judicious
If you have HDMI and optical, I am betting the TV doesn't output optical when it sees ARC. I don't see an obvious way to fit the pieces you have together. You may have to live with sound bar only until you get additional conventional speakers for your receiver.

Ndoraswamy

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

I guess. I even switched the receiver to a non ARC enabled HDMI port, but there is no response. The TV looks for either TV speakers or Audio System. The Denon becomes that Audio system effectively shutting out the Soundbar. Sigh. I'll have to convince the wife that we should buy a speaker system.

Anyway, thanks for your expert opinion.

kanewolf

Judicious
If you have an optical splitter, You don't need the HDMI do you? You should be able to select the optical input on the receiver. I don't know how the sound bar and the receiver will sound together. I don't know why I didn't think of that on the first pass ...

Ndoraswamy

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

If so, how will get video? I can just use the optical for the audio but will need some way for the video won't I?

kanewolf

Judicious
If HDMI is required then you didn't describe the complete setup. There must be HDMI sources you are using the receiver to switch that you didn't describe... To use the receiver for audio the optical splitter from the TV would work.

Solution