desktop replacement

residuum

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I'd like to purchase a notebook to replace my desktop. I dabble a little in video editing and would like something that can multitask. I'm in the military and found a military discount on a new XPS system. It's quite a bit of money and was hoping to get some opinions/thoughts/ideas on if I could do better for the price or if I should stay away from Dell period. I'm a rookie, so don't be too harsh :wink: Anyway, here's the notebook:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200
17" UXGA
2GB DDR2 @ 677MHz
256 NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS
100GB 7200rpm
8X CD/DVD Burner w/double-layer
Sound Blaster Audigy
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N
Bluetooth

The cost is $1993. I want to keep it under 2K and I really want it to have a 17" display. Any and all suggestions/tips are welcome. Thank you.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
:arrow: The 7800 GTX is a more capable card if you can get it.
:arrow: SXGA+ is plenty of resolution on a 17" screen but it is personal preference.
:arrow: Might want to stick with a G+ card, I have the N cards DELL uses and they are spotty performers honestly.
:arrow: Make sure DELL's warranty covers APO shipping, could be an important question.
:arrow: The DELL XPS and Inspiron 9400 I believe (98% sure) are the same machine internally and vary only in the chassis, with coupons (below) you might find a better deal.
$500 off Select Inspiron Notebooks $1499+ (Excluding XPS Systems)
Dell Coupon code expires after first 4,000 uses, or on 4/26 at 6:55 am EST. Dell coupon subject to change. Only one Dell coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Click through and upgrade any of the Inspiron systems to use this $450 off $1499 coupon from Dell Home.
Dell Home Coupon: VVM?RDFCRF75C5 - Expires: 4/26/2007
Stay safe brother...

residuum

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you for your inputs KN. I looked at the options available to me with ordering this system. Unfortunately, I can't change the display, and the video card is limited to the 7900GS or the 7950GTX (for $400 more). And thanks for the tip on the Next-Gen card.

Thank you for the coupon also, but I didn't plan on ordering that soon (before 26 Apr). I'm still in Iraq and wasn't going to purchase until I return home. I've gotta treat myself to something when I get out of here.

Is there a better 17" I can get for $2K?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I would not recommend a 7950 at that price level, the reason being is that a whole new card (not just an upgrade) is about $50 more. I can't condone price gouging like that.

Even if you didn't plan on ordering it now, the DELL coupons are always around. Just go to DealCatcher.com and they have them all the time.

Just a hint if you are waiting... DELL will release the best coupons at quarters end to boost sales numbers. Could be about the same time you are ordering your system. It would be nice if you could get a higher percentage or dollar amount off so you could upgrade the things you want at a better price point.

Also, if you go the Dell route, wait until early summer or later. Dell puts their own discounts on many of their products to attract college students (like me!). For that price, the Inspiron 9400 or Gateway's NX860XL are about the best you're going to do. Both come out to about the same price when similarly configured. HP's 17'' looks better but only comes with a GeForce 7600.

residuum

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you both for the advice. Time is something I have, so I'll hold off for a while and do a little more research on some different choices.

On a side note, I browse through these forumz quite frequently and have learned a great deal. Good stuff.

seeratlas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I've been telling everyone about this deal.
Take a look at officemax.com Everex XT5000T at 699.00. incredible deal. save yourself 1300.00 dollars...LOL.

Best 17" screen I've seen. I have 2 if you have any questions regarding build quality etc...its heck of a deal. 3 year warranty for 129.00. but you'd have to act pretty quick.

hard to go wrong tho.

seer

There is a reason for that low price though. That notebook has a very low res for 17'' screens, the Dell in mention is 1920x1200. The Everex also has half of the memory of the Dell and at a slower speed. It uses a slower, older CPU, the Intels mobile series beats the Turions right now. The Dell has a faster HDD and a much better graphics card. The laptop you mentioned is no doubt a pretty good deal, but it probably isn't what residuum is looking for. On a side note, could you link me that laptop off of officemax. I couldn't seem to find it.(may be sold out and I can see why)

seeratlas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
As of this morning, it has apparently sold out. Everex sells the same unit thru Fujitsu as the "Amilo 1526" or some such, with all the bells and whistles added.

I bought 2, added a single gig stick for 49.00, (everex gives you a single 1gig stick so you don't have to toss 2 512's when you upgrade) a new samsung 160gig 5400 rpm drive for right at 100.00, and a 22inch dvi LCD montior/tv/ everything for 210.00.

The Everex is the most easily upgradeable laptop i've come across in a verylong time., simple hatches over the components and everything but the gpu (go 7600) is socketed and easily swapped out. The amd turion x2 is easily upgradeble as its the simple s1 socket with heatpipe/sink/fan above. 4 screws on the sink, 3 on the exhaust fan and you're done. The new processors arriving in the next month and a half or so are faster, use less voltage, and will thus benefit from the current heatpipe/fan/sink solution. Frankly, I've been surprised at how well the AMD X2 Turion does. its the low line model but is amazingly adequate. I was going to swap out immediately for a 60 or 64, but now for the time being, I see no need. The broadcom wifi is pci express based and can be swapped out for the new 'n'/blue tooth module. The keyboard layout is bit strange, but key action is excellent and clean. The screen at 1440x1050 is absolutely beautiful, the colors magnificent, if you put the hi buck aquarium screensaver on, people will try and feed the fish. I prefer it over my gateways 1900 x1200 lcd.

The machine is surprisingly quick, on several everest benchmarks it bests t2500 and 5600 equipped machines with faster memory...giving up mghz in the process....WOW is absolutely beautiful at full everything. like a whole new game. Same for LOTR online. Oblivion requires you to go one step down from max settings, but runs fine. BF2 rocks.

The dual drive bay let me setup to dual boot vista/xp pro sp2 thru the bios startup instead of screwing around with potentially dangerous bootloaders.
By placing the paging file on the beginning part of the opposing drive, the 5400rpm drives respond just fine, running full tilt across the countryside in WOW, LOTR, BF2, etc. is seamless, no pausing..no jerking as screen is updated. They tell me raid will be available in a future bios which would be even faster.

The only negative is battery life, right around 2 hours or a little better, depending on how much of the battery saving technology you enable but i don't sweat that much. Going to homebuild another notebook cooler, using a commercial unit with usb 2.0 ports and 3 fans.. open it up, add 17 1.2 lith ion AA's in a grid with the std 12 volt connector (20.4 volt actual) and i solve three problems with one 'stone', 4 if you count keeping your lap as well as the 'laptop' cool under load :) heheh.

Oh, one last thing, best sound i've ever heard in a laptop, 2.1 built in with subwoofer underneath and startling volume. BUT, you can also plug a tos into the headphone out and get nuts 7.1 Dolby DTS into your home theatre unit....Just discovered that last night. apparently there are two mics in the laptop lid...skype works wonderfully, just add vid cam of choice (bang for buck? check out the A4Tech line...amazing low light color and definition for an inexpensive camera) and conference away.

The Everex is oem'd by FIC, between the two of them they did a helluva job for the money. The Amilo version is even nicer.

seer