Desktops vs laptops in gaming

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013
I got a question why do people make fun of us people who still use desktops ? & look at us in a cheap way I know they're portable but not everybody travels alot & desktops are better than laptops when it comes to gaming & are faster in speed

Solution
Laptops are expensive, lower performance, heavy, heat generating, bricks that are only better if you MUST have the portability. Pretty much in every metric other than portability possible desktops are better.

Traciatim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Laptops are expensive, lower performance, heavy, heat generating, bricks that are only better if you MUST have the portability. Pretty much in every metric other than portability possible desktops are better.

Solution

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I've never had anyone think my desktop was cheap or inferior to a laptop for any computing. Not sure who you're getting that vibe from but it sounds like they could stand to use a little education in computerology, luckily I have a degree in it! Send em my way.

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013

So they make fun of us because they're expensive ?
http://prntscr.com/3eyfbf

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Lol they're noobs when I tell them the disadvantages of laptops they get quiet

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Ok, there's a lot of mis-information and half-truths in that screenshot.

1) The batteries do not get "fucked up", they wear out like ANY other battery that gets put to use.
2-4) Laptops are upgradeable, not all of them, not most of them, but they are. You may have to look hard and dig a little but it CAN be done.
5) Heat may have been a big problem in old laptops but cooler tech has come a long way and this isn't nearly as big an issue as it used to be.
6) It does not take hours to clean out a laptop. In fact, it doesn't take any longer to clean out a laptop than it does a desktop depending on the laptop manufacturer.
7) You're just plain wrong on this one: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4930MX+%40+3.00GHz
8) This one you're probably right, I can't find anything to refute it.
9) This isn't a surprise
10) Correlation does not imply causation

I get that you're trying to argue from a correct point of view but your arguments are not good ones.

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013

No am not & just cause a few high end laptops that come with 3ghz or are upgradeable don't represent cause the majority represents not the minority as you know most of the laptops come with 1ghz or something clockspeed

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013

They say we live in the generation of laptops hmm if that was the case why do we have newer desktops then?

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
It's pretty obvious that you have your head in the sand on this one. Refusing to accept hard evidence that you're wrong and continuing to argue your original point even though it's wrong. Seems like you made a bet and don't want to lose it. Tough luck with that one. moving on...

3hunna

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Boy idk who tf you think you're trying to diss me you're just mad because you're laptop fan boy , if you wanna talk **** hmu on kik

EDITED for language by Moderator

SystemDump

Estimable
May 22, 2014
okay, back to the plot:

Batterylife:
Any gaming laptop, be it alienware, MSI, Origin, whatever, will have abysmal battery life, and most serious gamers end up teathered anyway. If you need proof, just look at any amazon gaming laptop comments ever.
Upgradability:
Laptops require being broken down, which is a pain for a casual gamer, and if the laptop gets phased out, its parts get harder to find and more pricy because of it. That's just fact.
On the other hand, I could pour 200 every couple of months, and, sans the Mobo or any defects, be able to play most current games at full fps render. Also, the tech sticks, so once I am top, I stay there for a few years longer than the laptop will... So long as I splurge for the clutch mobos, ram, and case right off.

Longevity:
You are lugging a laptop around, and unless you move your desktop all over the place, wear and tear alone are going to be factors (just look at the old hp's that broke at the display hinge so easily... not that I like hp...), so unless you get those uber clean military grade suckers, you may face problems in a year or so.
Also, if something breaks down (hdd on my last one), you're again looking at breaking down the machine, and finding a replacement (thank happysauce that the hdd's are almost universal...).

Gaming:
Let's be objective, when you go seriousgametime, you aren't likely to be moving around much, so, while playing Crysis or something at Starshmuks, may be fun, it's not exactly practical, or even desirable, depending on who you are around.

The plus side of this, lan parties are simply clutch with laptops, and lugging around a pharoah evo (over-exaggeration, I'm sure) from place to place is less than practical in and of itself.

It boils down to what everything ever always boils down to, and that's personal preference. As to the 1ghz thing, yes most have only that, because of the simple fact that laptops are more widely sold as universal work related or simple operation systems, not gaming things.

I don't have a degree in (computerology must be a very specialized class, as CS and CE, or even EE are the only one's I've seen, even up to PhD status) ^that thing, just an opinion backed by experience, if my arguments are lacking, I just need more experience, and as such don't mind being rebuffed.