Desperate need of help with Laptop Display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stevee04

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
Hi all.

For months now I've been trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my Laptop Display. As you do, I've searched/looked for so many different solutions but nothing is working.

The Problem

I have four thick black bars going around my screen, they must be at least an inch thick all around. I can't get rid of them/stretch the screen to go into them.

Laptop

• Acer Aspire V 15 Touch
    Intel Core i5-421OU 1.7GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    8GB DDR3 L Memory
    Intel HD Graphics / NVIDIA GeForce 840m

Things I've Tried

• Trying to change the screen resolution in the control panel/display settings. The maximum it will go to is 1366x768

Going into the Intel Graphics Control Panel and trying out a number of different settings

Going into the NVIDIA Control Panel, I have 0 options on their to change display. Looks like I don't get the full range of settings compared to others.

Uprading Display Drivers

The only thing I can think of that might have caused the problem was switching from Windows 8 to 7, when I was running 8 their was no problem.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it, it's driving me crazy!

Stevee04

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

Yep, it's under Warranty, thankfully!

Right, how would I go about doing that?

BoBoTheBear

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
If you never opened a laptop before that might not be best, sorry. If its under warrenty, try reinstalling windows first since ull be loosing ur data once u get it replaced.. I cant seem to find a picture of the bottom of ur laptop.., but i have a feeling that its one that u have to take the top part by keyboard and work ur way back.(not recommended)

smangione

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
If you don't know how to take it out I would suggest not messing with the laptop if it's under warranty and just send it in for repairs. I wouldn't want to void the warranty.

Stevee04

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
I've opened up a few Laptops so it shouldn't be a problem, I'm at Uni at the moment so I don't have any equipment to get in! Will have to try it when I'm home.

Thanks for the suggestions both! If anyone else can think of what the problem might be, any help would be much appreciated.

BoBoTheBear

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015

I agree, good luck mate.

What is the exact model # of the laptop?

The correct drivers you want to use are here http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers, the non-Broadwell ones since that system looks to have a Haswell CPU.

Remove whatever drivers are on there now and install the ones from Acer, the Intel and the Nvidia ones. If you downloaded the drivers NOT from Acer that may cause issues. I would also install the Chipset and BIOS updates also at least, and the audio and power management drivers if you have not done so after installing Win 7.

That resolution you have it set to looks to be the correct one for the laptop.

Question about the black bars, does the mouse actually move into those areas and can you place icons there or is it a border you can't move into at all?