Diagnosing start up issue, trying to rescue my laptop..

turdmunkey

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
If I have posted in the wrong thread I do apologize.

I have a Compaq Presario 725CA laptop with a start up issue.

CPU = mobileAMD Athlon 4 1500+
RAM = 496MB
no battery
XP SP3

The Led power light comes on but screen usually stays blank, I can hear components inside working but no picture. I can get it to turn on sometimes by pressing various buttons on the keyboard. hitting F8, F12 or ctrl+alt+delete sometimes does the trick. Once I get past the compaq logo im usually home free and XP boots and runs perfectly. Ive tried resseting defaults in bios but it doesn't work. the bios is up to date aswell as the rest of my drivers. I've tried unplugging HD but still has issue. I've run error checks on ram and hardrive and found nothing. I did notice the AC adapter becomes very hot but I think this is normal. The laptop itself does get kinda warm and the fan is always running. I did a fresh install of XP on one occasion when the thing let me boot up this did not fix the issue. I had to attempt installation twice, laptop froze 1st try, XP runs perfect though. I do not have much technical knowledge of PC's and I'm at my wits end. If anyone can help guide me in another direction I'd be very thankful.

*after using PCIsniffer i did find a parity error in host/pci and pci/pci. no idea what this means but may be of use to someone.

Thank you in advance.