difference between lenovo thinkpad 450p and 450s

Hani Shams

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
hi :)
In ThinkPad T series of lenovo's laptop there are some models which their name end to S or P,what is special about these models? (thinkpad 450p and 450s)
Thanks in advance for your help

Currently there is no ThinkPad T450p... at least in the US since it is not available on Lenovo's site. There is just the T450 and T450s.

-Both are ultrabooks, but the T450 is the heavier of the two by about 0.5lbs.
-The T450s has a 2nd M.2 slot which allows you to install a M.2 SDD.
-The T450 may allow you to upgrade the RAM, you will need to call Lenovo about that though.
-T450s is more compact so the RAM is definitely soldered into the laptop. Order with the RAM you want.

jdrou

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
For Thinkpads, 's' usually means a slimmer version of the base model and 'p' means a more powerful version.
T450p has not been released (yet). Very likely it will be once Intel releases the full-power versions of the current CPU generation (Broadwell). T450p would presumably be the successor to the T440p; i.e. a 14" 'lite' workstation notebook with quad-core CPUs and reasonably powerful discrete (non-Intel) graphics available.

Hani Shams

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanks

uncarvedblock

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
The T450s has 4gb ram soldered on to MB, and 1 expansion SODIM slot. If you ask for 8 GB from lenovo they just add a 4GB card to the extra ram slot. I bought a 8GB to upgrade myself which gives me 12Gb. The first 8GB will behave as dual channel.

uncarvedblock

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
Mine arrives Friday and I'm upgrading the ram and adding a 256gb m2 42mm ssd. The following video shows changing the 2.5" drive but the m2 slot is pointed out as the WWAN, (can be either). And the RAM is also pointed out at the end... All accessible after removing the bottom cover. Looks like the hard part is prying up little clips after unscrewing the bottom. No need to get under keyboard unless you want to reach the last m2 spot.

Lenovo Thinkpad T450s Laptop SSD/HD Replacement: https://youtu.be/dJ6Ows-GRjA

Actually, I would like to max out storage capacity so I would likely want to use the M.2 slot under the keyboard.

I may just wait for the Skylake (new Intel CPU) revision of the T450s (T460s I assume) since I do not exactly need a new laptop at this very moment. Maybe it will be a Christmas present to myself if the if the next gen 14" ThinkPad T is released by then.