Different types of processors

tdlanham

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
What does the letters after the type of processors mean?
such as Intel Core i5 i5-4210U. Some show different letters, what does this mean?

Thanks in advance

Solution
U = ULV = ultra low voltage dual core CPU. One of Intel's official requirements in order for a laptop to be called an "ultrabook" is that it must use a "U" or "Y" model CPU.
Y = Extremely low voltage. Lower than ULV and less performance.
M = "Standard mobile" dual core CPU. Uses more power than u model CPUs, but also have higher clock speed.
H = A dual core CPU, but consumes as much power as a quad core CPU. But the CPU itself is less expensive than "M" model CPUs.
MQ = "Mainstream Performance Quad Core" CPU
HQ = "High Performance Quad Core" CPU, basically the same as MQ, but with slightly higher clockspeed and better performing integrated graphics. Also more expensive.
MX = Extreme Performance Quad Core CPU. These CPUs can be...
U = ULV = ultra low voltage dual core CPU. One of Intel's official requirements in order for a laptop to be called an "ultrabook" is that it must use a "U" or "Y" model CPU.
Y = Extremely low voltage. Lower than ULV and less performance.
M = "Standard mobile" dual core CPU. Uses more power than u model CPUs, but also have higher clock speed.
H = A dual core CPU, but consumes as much power as a quad core CPU. But the CPU itself is less expensive than "M" model CPUs.
MQ = "Mainstream Performance Quad Core" CPU
HQ = "High Performance Quad Core" CPU, basically the same as MQ, but with slightly higher clockspeed and better performing integrated graphics. Also more expensive.
MX = Extreme Performance Quad Core CPU. These CPUs can be overclocked. They are also extremely expensive. When purchased in bulk the CPU itself costs at least $1,100.

The current generation Intel CPUs is Broadwell and there are only "U", "H" and "HQ" models. 4th generation Haswell CPUs have all the above models.

The Core M CPU is a the Broadwell generation version of the 4th generation "Y" model CPUs.

Solution

tdlanham

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
So is there any difference that a normal user like me could tell between AMD and Intel?

AMD is so much cheaper, I would assume there has to be a significant difference.... is this correct?

I do college work and some light gaming.

AMD APUs have less processing power than Intel CPUs even though they may have higher clockspeed. It is due to how AMD APUs and Intel CPUs are designed. For everyday use people generally will not notice much of a difference, but if you do CPU intensive tasks like video encoding, then Intel CPUs will generally perform better. Intel CPUs also consumes less power than AMD APUs which means better battery life.

The general consensus is that AMD integrated graphic cores (iGPU) more powerful than Intel integrated graphics. That is true to a certain extent but it depends which iGPU models you are comparing. However, the most powerful iGPU is made by Intel which are the Intel HD Iris Pro 5200 and 6200, but they only exist in high end quad core i7 CPUs and are in laptops that generally cost over $1,000. Plus they are pretty rare since not too many laptops uses Intel CPUs with those graphic cores.