Digital audio better than analog using headphones?

Mar 15, 2018
I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of configuring my headphones for digital inputs versus using the typical RCA connections? Can you really hear more detail with digital?

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo halchuck2269

I agree with what @Madmatt30 said. The only reason that we've moved forward from RCA's is pretty much to make the analogue part cleaner.
However..
If you're searching for a difference, you should check out balanced connections. These could be just normal AUX cables, but the difference is there's a ground lead in each cable. The most common balanced is probably the 4-pin XLR connection (You've probably seen these used with microphones).
I do believe there is a noticeable difference from unbalanced to balanced, but this is once again a subject that can be discussed since it's so subjective in nature.
The balanced connections is WAAAY more expensive, so unless you really want to get a "better" listening experience, you should just stay with normal unbalanced.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 217926

The only reason to use a balanced connection is with a fully balanced amp and DAC. Otherwise it's just a connection. A Schiit Jotunheim with a balanced DAC at $500 is as cheap as I've seen for a truly balanced setup. Then you can even spend a couple of hundred bucks on cables.