Solved! Digital input on speakers of 3.5mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2019
I have a set of BA7500G (the G is important) that require a digital input of 3.5mm jack, a 3.5 to 3.5 was what was included in the original packaging to connect the device. I'm trying to figure out if its some one off test product or if i'm missing something vital. Everyone i talk to says that 3.5mm isn't used for digital audio, but the input on the device clearly says "Digital audio input" and it 100% is a 3.5mm jack and not a coaxial cable. This is exactly it. Can i make it work?
boston-acoustics-digital-model_1_10c9e7473b1d218a636ab0cee569c288.jpg

Edit: I also have a setup right now that does not seem to work, i have 3.5mm going to R/L into a converter from analog to digital, then going from coaxial to 3.5. I'm not getting anything from the speaker

Last edited:

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
That's great if you don't mind analog being the original signal. Any digital signal must be converted to analog (by a digital to analog converter - DAC) for us to hear it, but the way you do it matters. If you take analog, convert it to digital and then back to analog (the speaker's DAC), you certainly get losses and lose the benefits of pure digital signals converted once. With high resolution speakers, you really can notice the difference in transients (percussion punch for ex), wider dynamic range and also with the higher frequencies. You get less compression, more headroom (in terms of freq response), lower SNR with pure digital. Also, the difference is unmistakable with high-quality remastered-to-digital original older recordings which were made on high speed reel-to-reel decks. Sorry if I got into the weeds a bit here...

Just saw the edit! I tried to find the manual to no avail. I wanted to determine if the 3.5mm connector on the back of the speaker is optical. You may want to call BA tech support unless someone on this forum has an answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS