Solved! Dilema about several laptops

Jul 6, 2020
Hello, I would greatly appreciate anyones help, excuse me for mistakes in advance :) .

I am about to go to university. Will be studying electrical/mechanical engineering (dealing with simulations all the time), I will most definitely use the laptop for high requirements gaming, and later on I am planning to get into cutting videos and working with photos. Both my current PC and laptop are not in a shape to be used for any of that, I am talking 7 years old non gaming laptop and PC build out of the cheapest scrap there is, just so it can handle a monitor. I was looking for about a week, searching the web, problem is I can't always find all the parameters I would like to know, I don't know where to search. I came up with 5/6 favorites and I don't know, which one is worth it the most. With all that, I am basically looking for a laptop which I am willing to pay for, and which will give me the most for the price.
(Sorry for Czech page it's just for reference)

1. Dell G5 15
i7-9750H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 144Hz, 16GB RAM, 256SSD+1000HDD
https://www.dell.com/cz/p/g-series-15-5590-laptop/pd
1550 USD

2. ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV

Ryzen 7 3750H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 120Hz 250 nits, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505DV/
1420 USD ...I like this one for the "standard" structure, it doesn't have that exposed back as it is with the Dell and Legions. I don't have any experience with it and i am slightly skeptical, if someone could tell me sth about that as well that would be awesome, some personal experience or like that, I just have no idea.

- rest are the 4 versions of Lenovo Legions I am most curious about -

3. Lenovo Legion 5-15IMH05H (Phantom black)
i5-10300H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 120Hz 250 nits, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
1150 USD

4. Lenovo Legion 5P-15IMH05H

i5-10300H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 144Hz 300 nits, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1450 USD ...Side quest for good karma: how does the rather small difference in display and storage make this one 300 USD more expensive? is that real or am I missing some parameter?

5. Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH (Black)

i7-9750H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 144H 300 nits, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1490 USD

6. Lenovo Legion 5P-15IMH05H

i7-10750H, RTX 2060 (6GB), FHD 144Hz 300 nits, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1700 USD

(- All prices are from the current Czech market, not US)

These are so far my favorites. I Went for at least 120Hz screen, RTX 2060 or better and 16GB RAM or higher and limited myself with 1700 USD (and tried to look for laptops that are not complete bricks dependent on outlet anyway, the laptop might be traveling with me around the world...). I am willing to go even for the most expensive one, but I just need someone who has the experience and knowledge about these kind of laptops.

If I had to choose a laptop that would suit me absolutely the most no matter the price tag, I would no doubt choose either Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 or Asus Zephyrus Duo 15, but the price is for me like from another dimension.

I am open to all tips, ideas, anything, if someone finds even better option I would absolutely adore it, but from here I just can't decide. If there is someone who can give me a clear answer with little bit of explanation why that laptop in particular, you don't even know how happy I would be.

Sorry for such a long test, I didn't want to miss anything and tried to make everything clear so it's easier for those who would answer me :)

Thank you all in advance :D

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020
I'd probably go with your #3, Dell and ASUS Tuf series have been a bit low on quality.
OK, good to know, thank you Very much 😀. By any chance, do you know about some page where I can find more about this? I of course trust you, I am just curious what exactly was the problem so I know what to look at next time 😁

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I own #5 on your list, and I really like it. I play most of the current games without a problem, though you will have to undervolt it and play with the settings for the kind of gaming that you do.

To be honest, there are many good, new gaming laptops that are coming out. Check the youtub videos for "top gaming laptops 2020".

Also, in the US, that Legion Y540 is less expensive....typically around 1250 USD depending on the drives.

I am interested in the new Legion 5 and 7 units.

R

Jul 6, 2020
I own #5 on your list, and I really like it. I play most of the current games without a problem, though you will have to undervolt it and play with the settings for the kind of gaming that you do.

To be honest, there are many good, new gaming laptops that are coming out. Check the youtub videos for "top gaming laptops 2020".

Also, in the US, that Legion Y540 is less expensive....typically around 1250 USD depending on the drives.

I am interested in the new Legion 5 and 7 units.

R
OK thank you, Will definitely check the vids, I haven't thought of that 😁

OK, good to know, thank you Very much 😀. By any chance, do you know about some page where I can find more about this? I of course trust you, I am just curious what exactly was the problem so I know what to look at next time 😁

I work on Dell systems all the time, we use them at work, so I know how often they have issues. The stacks of Dell laptops with failed screens, motherboards or batteries are like 6 times larger than the Lenovo models we have. 95% of the Lenovo systems we remove are due to their age, 95% of the Dell systems we remove are due to them breaking.

I also own an ASUS Tuf laptop that needed a motherboard replaced in 7 months, along with being hard to cool with fans loud all the time. There are quite a few people on the forums posting about issues with the same series, many are with bad motherboards.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
@hang-the-9 - any experience with the Dell 7400 laptop (not the 2-in-1)? I am seeing issues with Intel's speed shift apparently not working - the CPUs run at full turbo speed unless I use ThrottleStop to "turn on" speed shift.

I can open up a new thread so as not to hijak this one, but just curious if you have seen this on Dell systems.

Thanks,
R

@hang-the-9 - any experience with the Dell 7400 laptop (not the 2-in-1)? I am seeing issues with Intel's speed shift apparently not working - the CPUs run at full turbo speed unless I use ThrottleStop to "turn on" speed shift.

I can open up a new thread so as not to hijak this one, but just curious if you have seen this on Dell systems.

Thanks,
R

Dell has had some BIOS and chipset updates to fix CPU and fan speed issues, but don't know about the 7400 model specifically. I have not worked on many of those at all.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Dell has had some BIOS and chipset updates to fix CPU and fan speed issues, but don't know about the 7400 model specifically. I have not worked on many of those at all.
Thanks.... I downloaded all the latest stuff, but still the same situation. I was only able to get it under control through the use of Throttlestop and forcing speed shift. Dell was completely useless in terms of solving the problem.

No good ideas...just reinstall windows... :-/

R