Dim laptop screen

Dalaina

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I have an interesting case. I have a older Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FE550G). One day the screen suddenly darkened. I restarted the computer, I would have a picture for about a minute, then the screen would darken again. I took the computer apart, removed the old inverter, and installed a new one. The laptop seemed to work fine for about 3 days (although I did notice the brightness would flicker every once in a while). Then once again the screen darkened, though it would keep a picture for about 10 minutes when I rebooted it. I could still see faint images in both situations. I currently have the laptop running off an external monitor, and it is working fine - awkward for me but possible. I am very frustrated with this problem. I need some of you experts out there to help me figure out what's wrong.

Dalaina

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
If it's the backlight, why did the computer work for three days with the new inverter? Seems as though a new inverter wouldn't have made any difference at all if the backlight was the problem. Incidently, changing out an inverter is really easy. If I can do it, almost anyone should be able. Don't pay big bucks to have a computer tech do it. Backlight - not so sure!

Randini, thanks for your help!