Direct connect....why a separate number?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

So why do they issue a separate number for direct connect? I have a
phone number and also a direct connect number, why couldn't Nextel just
use the person's phone number for the direct connect number?
 

myself

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
7
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

do you really want everyone who knows or can get your phone number to be
able to beep through and start talking to you whenever you want? i dont
trust people enough to want my dc number to be that easily accessible.


"Exeter" <Exeter@spamex.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94D29D15099CAexeter99x@63.240.76.16...
> So why do they issue a separate number for direct connect? I have a
> phone number and also a direct connect number, why couldn't Nextel just
> use the person's phone number for the direct connect number?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"Myself" <email@domain.com> wrote in
news:c66p92$qd6$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:

> do you really want everyone who knows or can get your phone number
> to be able to beep through and start talking to you whenever you
> want?

How is that any different than someone calling you? If you don't want to
accept the call or DC, you don't have to. Keep the speaker turned off so
that they can't just start talking out of the blue. Also, a simple
software tweak could allow you to configure DC's, such as "never
accept" or maybe even have a "white list" of people that you would only
accept DC's from.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"Exeter" <Exeter@spamex.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94D2BAE686855exeter99x@204.127.199.17...
> "Myself" <email@domain.com> wrote in
> news:c66p92$qd6$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:
>
>> do you really want everyone who knows or can get your phone number
>> to be able to beep through and start talking to you whenever you
>> want?
>
> How is that any different than someone calling you? If you don't want to
> accept the call or DC, you don't have to. Keep the speaker turned off so
> that they can't just start talking out of the blue. Also, a simple
> software tweak could allow you to configure DC's, such as "never
> accept" or maybe even have a "white list" of people that you would only
> accept DC's from.

Most of the new phones now have that feature under the styles menu you can
"white list" who you want to allow to DC.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Spordimees Wireless Carriers 1
deeshaw Wireless Carriers 3
M Wireless Carriers 1
D Wireless Carriers 1
H Wireless Carriers 1
A Wireless Carriers 1
C Wireless Carriers 1
N Wireless Carriers 1
N Wireless Carriers 1
I Wireless Carriers 1
J Wireless Carriers 1
R Wireless Carriers 1
L Wireless Carriers 1
C Wireless Carriers 1
A Wireless Carriers 6
O Wireless Carriers 1
L Wireless Carriers 1
A Wireless Carriers 1
Mark Spoonauer Wireless Carriers 6
H Wireless Carriers 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY