DirecTV Will Deliver 4K Content by 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
And it will be so compressed that it won't be true 2160p content anyway. But I'd like to personally thank early 4K adopters though who will help make those HDTVs and PC monitors come own in price and be better in a few years for when the time comes to upgrade from 1080p for HDTVs and 1440p for PC monitors (yeah there are cheap 4K TN monitors out now, but they suck).

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
They wouldn't necessarily have to super compress the 4K streams otherwise what is the point? What they can do is launch few more birds in the sky which may account for the extra $20 per month fee. Older satellites needs to be retired anyway.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The broadcast will come in H.265 which is quite a bit more efficient than their current content. If you are running 4 times the pixels but save 50% on bandwidth, your new 4K content will only require the bandwidth that 2 1080p feeds would require. Actually less, because I doubt the audio stream would be any different.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
This is why I will not be owning a 4k panel anytime soon. I like my Directv and see no reason to have a TV that is pretty much useless at this time.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
The market made a huge flop with 3D trying to shove it down our throats for 2 years.
I am assuming this is the way the market is expecting to get back on its feet. By selling something that actually improves on the previous technology.
Its no surprised that 4K is dropping in prices relatively fast.

I would say that 4k Content will come sooner than we actually expect it, the question is when will it become affordable. Also, older movies will be reworked to sell them as 4k?

Well, we will have to wait and see.

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I hardly watch TV nowadays but I do want 4K for my computer (gaming mostly). Just waiting for good 4K TV's with display port/HDMI 2.0 inputs to come down enough in price so I can finally upgrade my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.