DISH Buys BlockBuster in $320 Million Auction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

F@#% them remember what they did to the mom and pops dvd stores?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I agree with Dohe, but this is a capitalist society and you have to take the good with the bad.

Also I think Netflix was a HUGE reason why Blockbuster went down. Why pay $3 to rent a supposedly new release (actual release date about 3-5 years ago), when I can stream 25x more stuff for $8? They got greedy renting people movies for rediculous prices and when it turned out that a movie rental wasn't even close to worth $3 they didn't want to change their prices so they are now suffering the penalty.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I fail to understand how purchasing Blockbuster would be for any company... Video stores are dead now that we have Netflix and Red-Boxes. I could easily see movie theateres going next, all it would take is a company streaming the movie online for a fee. Besides, who wants to pay $20 for 2 drinks and popcorn?

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I can understand the business and technological aspects of this, but its still somewhat sad in a way; to see the Internet killing off so many business models and conveniences which have been a measurable part of most of our lives in the past.

Today its Blockbuster, yesterday it was Circuit City and before that, CompUSA, Electronic's Boutique (Physical stores gone in my region anyway), Software ETC., Walden's Bookstore, Dalton's, various major city newspapers, etc. etc.

Its like a voracious beast chewing up everything and leaving less diversity and locally, physically-obtainable, affordable quality services in its wake. It's really troubling if you live in an area without high-speed internet access.

It seems we have ALOT riding on the Internet today with even thoughts of one day making it the main distribution channel of news, television and radio. I'm just wondering if this is really all that wise of a move, all things considered.

Hmm...I wonder what's next, will K-mart finally fold? Radio Shack?

The world is-a changing...hold onto your portatoes. :eek:)

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
[citation][nom]pa-am1478[/nom]someone has to say the truth, so here it is: blockbuster is in bankrupt thanks to none other than YOU, searching internet every day looking for low-quality, free pirated movies. look yourselves at a mirror first, then post your comment.[/citation]

I have looked in a mirror this morning.

I pirate NOTHING, I use netflix and sometimes redbox, I purchase ALL my video games usually through steam or when newegg has sweet deals I rarely go into stores because it's just easier to order online or stream.

You pa-am1478 are silly!

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Wow. I really wouldn't have done that if I were them... Why buy a company that is already toast? That seems like throwing good money after bad.

vegan00

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I work for DISH Network and I’m glad that they have picked up Blockbuster because they’re going to make an amazing team that will bring an arsenal of entertainment to subscribers. To kick off the changes DISH is offering 3 months free of Blockbuster’s newest services. http://goo.gl/wuMrN

Status
Not open for further replies.