DISH's Wireless Joey Provides TV Without Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
You PAY $50 per device AND $7 per month per device for the privilege of using it. DAMN And that is on top of a $50+ per month subscription charge Bend over and grab your ankles. I bet they don't even give you a kiss after.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
what they don't tell you is if the joey receives HD. I know their dual receiver setup doesn't, only the tv that has the receiver has the HD and the other tv that doesn't has to use a coax cable. Also I don't get why they are charging an extra 7 dollars a month per joey when all it is a hub with 2 tuners singles built in to the main unit. it's not like they are actual receivers. with the dual receiver they don't charge you for the 2nd tv that's hooked up to the coax cable.

ayrborne

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Joeys are HD capable. The $7/mo is an equipment rental fee (I believe). One Hopper will feed 4 locations with 3 tuners (but can use 1 of those tuners to watch/record the 4 major locals; totalling 6 channels on 1 DVR). Adding a wired Super Joey to the system will add 2 more tuners. Each location can access the DVR and chose to join another location's tuner to minimize recording conflicts. They even have an app for next gen consoles and TVs to create a Virtual Joey. Its even Bluetooth capable, so you can use wireless headsets. They packed a lot into one reciever

ayrborne

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thought I should mention some of the other features, as well. The Sling capability will create a bridge between the internet-connected Hopper and an internet-connected device (smartphone, laptop, tablet, etc), so you can watch your TV away from home. They have Pandora, Dish On Demand, and Blockbuster at Home in addition to many other apps. I like the "locate remote" function. The remote is 2-way UHF (no need for line of sight to the receiver), so if its lost down the cushions, just push the button on the receiver (works on Joeys, too) and it will start beeping and flashing. I wish all devices had this! Because its 2-way, you have an easy setup in the menu for programming it for other devices like TV, surround sound, and bluray. I'm not an expert on fees, but I believe the installation fees are for off-contract setups or new installs with less than desirable credit. Usually, they waive those kind of things to keep you on contract (like mobile phone companies offer you a free upgrade every 2 years). Package prices are set by the content providers. If they ask more from Dish, Dish will ask more from you

Status
Not open for further replies.