Disney Confirms Movies for Individual Star Wars Characters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Avengers was a good story with GREAT dialogue that focused on the characters.

Umm, no it wasn't.

The saddest thing is that they most likely won't use the extended universe. Awesome lore exists there: Kyle Katarn hunting down Desann and Tavion with the Jedi Order's help, Luke's children, etc. But no, they'll come up with some of their own nonsense, I am sure of it.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Umm, no it wasn't.The saddest thing is that they most likely won't use the extended universe. Awesome lore exists there: Kyle Katarn hunting down Desann and Tavion with the Jedi Order's help, Luke's children, etc. But no, they'll come up with some of their own nonsense, I am sure of it.[/citation]
The individual movies were pretty good. Not great. The Avengers was fun. Not great, but fun. Which is much much more than I can say for ANY of the prequel Star Wars movies... None of them were 'fun'. They were all just painful... I cringed at all the actors except Ewen McGregor...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Knew it'd not take long for them to ruin SW.[/citation]
it was already ruined.

[citation][nom]faster23rd[/nom]My GOD! They're going to milk it hard![/citation]
milk yes, but will it be bad?

[citation][nom]bigshootr8[/nom]Seems like an easy way to kill the series well see though. I liked it how there was the large epic movie and now its just going to be star wars XI or something like star trek lame! I like star trek but Star Wars movies were always less produced.[/citation]

well, honestly, i dont see starwars getting better till they movie the expanded universe... the original trilogy is good, but the prequel sullied it, to the point i would rather them just back away from that time line and go somewhere else.

that said, character movies done necessarily need to be set in a sequential time line. i could see it working fairly well... if they get the right writers.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]A) JJ Abrams will get bored quick, fast, and in a hurry. It is what he does. I would be shocked if he got through even 3 movies, morel likely 2...B) Disney did a good job with Marvel, specifically the buildup to Avengers... (Way way better than Rami and the Toby McGuire Spiderman garbage)...C) Lucas was the problem with the prequels and the re-re-re-re-releases of the original films. He kept tinkering, and using poor dialogue, worse character development and uncreative plots. A new vision, a new perspective, can not POSSIBLY be worse than the drivel Lucas spewed out, even with Mickey Mouse at the helm...[/citation]

origional trilogy had different directors for each movie... i cant see it as a bad thing if he leaves after one.

lucas from movie 1 wanted to put jar jar level stuff into them, but he had people who would tell him no back than.

G

Another source on the web says the movie will be about Han Solo, taking place between episode 3 and episode 4...slashfilm.com

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Knew it'd not take long for them to ruin SW.[/citation]

How so? By making more Star Wars movies? There are many great characters in the Star Wars universe and if done well I am all for it. I prefer to experience more Star Wars than see that same classics (Ep 4-6) over and over. Also at this point I have more faith in Disney to make good Star Wars films than George Lucas :p

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
They should use many of the Star War novels and leave out the story from the movies, they're finished, don't keep adding stuff to it.

I would much rather see an origin of the Sith kind of movie, or something along those lines. Something different, the Star War universe is huge, there is other shit happening beside Luke Skywalker and friggin' Yoda!

G

Prefer a movie on Darth Nihilus, an interesting character to understand.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Star Wars will be a yearly franchise just like Call of Duty starting in 2015. Get ready for a new Star Wars movie every year. Make sure you buy some Star Wars lunch boxes, action figures, the Star Wars themed Jeep, re-re-releases of the previous movies, cartoon episodes, animated series episodes, towels, coffee mugs, soap, toys, plushies, charms, tablets, laptops, desktops, controllers, consoles, and more! Yogurt was right! Merchandising at its best!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Doesn't matter if JJ gets bored after the first film, it's not as if the original trilogy had the same director and some might say TESB and ROTJ were better for it, whilst the new trilogy were all directed by Lucas and despite the extra technical extras were weaker in other areas, especially the ropey plot holes on why Jedi can become Force Ghosts - first and foremost whoever the new director is should write in a cameo for Liam Neeson to have a Force Ghost chat with Luke Skywalker and spill the beans - yes, have 3 different directors because unless you get Peter Jackson to do it you are just asking for a train wreck trilogy. Two more points, Boba Fett survived and needs his own spinoff movie. And Solo shot Greedo first, Anakin's childhood friend, in cold blood, murdering bastard!

Jonathan Marsh

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
My thoughts on it:

a) I how they don't make the shiny crap from episodes 1, 2, and 3.

b) Why not bring the best books out, like Courtship of Princess Leia, Truce of Bukara, and the Thrawn Trilogy?

c) Please no stupid Ja-Ja characters!

d) If they want kids Star Wars, then go ahead, but they need to remember that a lot of die-hard SW fans are in their 40s and 50s now.

I watch the original trilogy (4, 5, 6) dozens of times. Even rewatched them this weekend. But I will not watch 1, 2, and 3 again. I was extremely disappointed with them.

Just look at the SW games like Force Unleashed, and Republic Commando. There is a lot of detail and grit to those.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
"d) If they want kids Star Wars, then go ahead, but they need to remember that a lot of die-hard SW fans are in their 40s and 50s now."

You can be sure that it only makes sense to replace that generation with a much younger one that will consume it all over another couple decades.

CheezMeister

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
@ VirtualBan: VII (7), VIII (8), IX (9)... those are the sequels. Since the originals (released in 1977) were episodes IV (4), V (5), and VI (6), and the ones release more recently were I (1), II (2), and III (3).

@amk-aka-Phantom: You're in the minority if you think the Avengers movies were not well made and extremely well-received. I can't speak to their accuracy relative to the original comic book stories, but Disney spared no expense in producing high quality films with top-knotch actors who played their parts very well in almost all cases (not a fan of Scarlet Johansson's acting, personally).

I personally have mixed feelings because I love the original 3 movies and they're what got me hooked on the series as a kid. I read all the books I can possibly get my hands on and absolutely love the extended universe. That said, there is a LOT of material there and not all of it will be suitable for the big screen. So, as all movie makers do when making a movie out of a book, things will change. It's inevitable. Expect it and then roll with it. My hope is that, because of the astounding success of the Avengers movies, the Star Wars movies will be successful equally.

BryndonB

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
If they're planning to use some of the books that have been released over the years, they'd better be picky. Most were merely average with some of them being completely awful. The best ones were those written by Timothy Zahn - I'd like to see GA Thrawn and Mara Jade!

Status
Not open for further replies.